Attention PSLF leeches, PSLF is soon to be eliminated.

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Re: Attention PSLF leeches, PSLF is soon to be eliminated.

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:45 am

Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Your trolling used to be a lot more subtle and well done. I r8 2.8/8, m8. Not gr8 b8.

You are dense if you don't think there will be PSLF/PAYE reform within the next 10 years.

You are dense of you think this thread is effective

RollCall is a reputable site. If you aren't even going to back up your points with anything more than a single sentence, go troll elsewhere.

I'll just say YOU are the one trolling. Why so tryhard this morning, man?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:45 am

Jason Taverner wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Your trolling used to be a lot more subtle and well done. I r8 2.8/8, m8. Not gr8 b8.

You are dense if you don't think there will be PSLF/PAYE reform within the next 10 years.

No one has disagreed with you on this. I agree with boo, your trolling used to be entertaining.

Did it?

Fair point

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 am

bjsesq wrote:I'll just say YOU are the one trolling. Why so tryhard this morning, man?

Just thought it was a beneficial article to link to in this subforum. It isn't too hard to link to an article. I am not the IRL article writer.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

Jason Taverner wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

No one has disagreed with you on this. I agree with boo, your trolling used to be entertaining.

Did it?

Well, better than this, anyway.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:48 am

RollCall is a reputable site.

Yes. A staffer is reputably saying that Republican-controlled budget proposals may include scaleback provisions of PSLF. That is undisputed. What is also reputably undisputed: No bill exists. And even if this was a formal bill, it doesn't affect past borrowers.

Tom Joad wrote:
ymmv wrote:Lol reliance bro.

I already decimated this argument above.

Nope, try again. Expressed reliance on an existing law written into the same contract you're signing is going to be per se reasonable. If you actually knew what you were talking about, you would instead be pointing out that it is unclear whether the PSLF's forgiveness provision was properly integrated into the promissory note for the federal loans, which even Heather Jarvis admits may in theory not be the case.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 am

Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I'll just say YOU are the one trolling. Why so tryhard this morning, man?

Just thought it was a beneficial article to link to in this subforum. It isn't too hard to link to an article. I am not the IRL article writer.

No you didn't. And no, you don't believe half the stuff you are saying. So what are you getting out of this when you make the troll obvious by being so aggressive and over the top with your language? I am really trying to understand your end game here. Like, how did you envision the thread going? You had to know people were going to immediately call troll with how over the top you were.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:06 am

This thread is now about who in the blue fuck ever thought truffle oil was a good thing. Does anybody know anybody who actually enjoyed that shit?

Go Nats!

Postby Go Nats! » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:08 am

Tom Joad wrote:
ymmv wrote:Doesn't this get posted every two months?

This time it is real. I work on the Hill and my wife works in the White House.

I work on the Hill too and people bug me all the time about this. Unless you're on the Budget Committee or involved in those negotiations, you don't jack about what the final reform measure of PSLF is going to be. Yes, there's consensus that PSLF can't remain as it is, but this (almost monthly) freakout about this doesn't help matters. It's not constructive at all.

Bottom line: PSLF is likely going to be reduced in some way. If you're in law school currently and you want to go into public service, you need to be aware of that. But don't freak out until we see actual legislative language - not a budget proposal form the Administration, not a budget amendment that doesn't have the force of law, not a Roll Call piece, and certainly not some guy on the internet who is telling you that the sky is falling.
Last edited by Go Nats! on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:10 am

bjsesq wrote:This thread is now about who in the blue fuck ever thought truffle oil was a good thing. Does anybody know anybody who actually enjoyed that shit?

Expensive has to mean it tastes good, right???

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 am

bjsesq wrote:This thread is now about who in the blue fuck ever thought truffle oil was a good thing. Does anybody know anybody who actually enjoyed that shit?

I love a little dab of truffle oil or truffle salt when cooking veggies! Smoked salt is also fabulous.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:11 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

I love a little dab of truffle oil or truffle salt when cooking veggies! Smoked salt is also fabulous.

I don't even fucking know you anymore. So sad I let your doorman blow me.

bretby

Postby bretby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 am

It's pretty good in mac & cheese - just have to be really careful not to overdo it. Although seeing as how Congress is threatening to cut the subsidies to truffle pig farmers, I may have to abandon my reckless ways and start eating Kraft like the rest of you bozos.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:14 am

IDK what it even tastes like. They never used to put more than one or two drops of that shit on anything anyway (I assume b/c it's actually awful).

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 am

ymmv wrote:

IDK what it even tastes like. They never used to put more than one or two drops of that shit on anything anyway (I assume b/c it's actually awful).

It smells, and tastes, like dying things.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

bretby wrote:

It's pretty good in mac & cheese - just have to be really careful not to overdo it. Although seeing as how Congress is threatening to cut the subsidies to truffle pig farmers, I may have to abandon my reckless ways and start eating Kraft like the rest of you bozos.

I have definitely replaced a little of the butter with truffle oil when making Kraft mac & cheese.

Also, I'm a little worried about Kraft's whole "we're going to make our mac & cheese 'natural'" thing. It better still taste the same, dammit.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
bretby wrote:

I have definitely replaced a little of the butter with truffle oil when making Kraft mac & cheese.

Also, I'm a little worried about Kraft's whole "we're going to make our mac & cheese 'natural'" thing. It better still taste the same, dammit.

Yeah as someone who is about to be on his first really tight budget ever, I do not know what to do if KD changes substantially.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Truffle oil is an adjective additive. You put it in simply so your 'cranberry quinoa pilaf' can become 'truffle oil cranberry quinoa pilaf' and get that lay prestige with your bullshit fake wine-snob friends.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:04 pm

zacharus85 wrote:

Truffle oil is an adjective additive. You put it in simply so your 'cranberry quinoa pilaf' can become 'truffle oil cranberry quinoa pilaf' and get that lay prestige with your bullshit fake wine-snob friends.

If you're going for prestige, leave off the "oil." Real truffles are much classier than the oil, obv.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:

If you're going for prestige, leave off the "oil." Real truffles are much classier than the oil, obv.

Yes but I lack both money and good taste.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Plus you run the risk of being outed as an even bigger tool by your friends in the know. Like the way you can still identify any shitboomers within earshot by their annually classified wine flavor profile descriptions.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun May 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Tom Joad wrote:http://blogs.rollcall.com/hill-navigator/loan-forgiveness-for-federal-employees/

If this was your plan, I would suggest dropping out.

For those already on PSLF, may God have mercy on your soul.

So basically this is saying that future students who begin to borrow would be subjected to the new provisions on PSLF but not past or current borrowers? There are precedents that establish the notion of "grandfathering" in federal programs that effect so many people so hopefully that continues to hold

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Good luck with the "but I relied on it" argument! Shitboomer judges who think you should repay your debts have repeatedly held that repayment plans are... guess what... repayment plans, not contracts. Even if you have a reliance argument, the government will always have the stronger argument that you took out a debt and you should repay it, and you shouldn't burden the taxpayers with your bad decisions. It won't work in court to say "but I never really intended to pay off my debt!"

And republicans don't care about SJW. I doubt they will granfather you in / support you in your quest to undermine their positions.

Return to “Financial Aid”