Attention PSLF leeches, PSLF is soon to be eliminated.

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Tom Joad

Attention PSLF leeches, PSLF is soon to be eliminated.

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:43 am

http://blogs.rollcall.com/hill-navigato ... employees/

If this was your plan, I would suggest dropping out.

For those already on PSLF, may God have mercy on your soul.

ymmv

Re: Attention PSLF leeches, PSLF is soon to be eliminated.

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:47 am

Doesn't this get posted every two months?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:50 am

ymmv wrote:Doesn't this get posted every two months?

This time it is real. I work on the Hill and my wife works in the White House.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am

Article says the budget proposals do not affect those already enrolled. Capping it for new borrowers is inevitable though and needs to happen.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am

Tom Joad wrote:For those already on PSLF, may God have mercy on your soul.

The Blog You Posted wrote:Any changes are not likely to affect those already enrolled, but would affect future graduates pursuing public service.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am

This article isn't any more definitive than any other article about PSLF. It's clear there's support for modifying it - which has been clear for honks - but until there's a specific bill going through both house and senate there isn't much to talk about and no evidence it will be eliminated.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am

Tanicius wrote:Article says the budget proposals do not affect those already enrolled. Capping it for new borrowers is inevitable though and needs to happen.

Why?

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 am

The problem is the cost of school, not the repayment programs. Reptiles in congress need to go to hell.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:14 am

flawschoolkid wrote:The problem is the cost of school, not the repayment programs. Reptiles in congress need to go to hell.

Did you even read the article? What was your RC score?

The article plainly says this is Obama's idea. Do you think Obama is in Congress or a reptile?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:For those already on PSLF, may God have mercy on your soul.

The Blog You Posted wrote:Any changes are not likely to affect those already enrolled, but would affect future graduates pursuing public service.

lol if you buy this.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:18 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Article says the budget proposals do not affect those already enrolled. Capping it for new borrowers is inevitable though and needs to happen.

Why?

Cause let's be real, it truly is getting out of control. Let's say law school costs a million dollars -- I don't think ten years of public interest work means you should get that all forgiven. It's creating some pretty perverse incentives. All of this reckless loan availability contributes to that problem, of course, and in the grand scheme PSLF is minimal. Still, we all know that PSLF is going to be curbed eventually. Writing us a blank check just isn't going to work forever.

Any changes are not likely to affect those already enrolled, but would affect future graduates pursuing public service.

lol if you buy this.

You seem to be enjoying this too much to be anything but a troll. I don't believe you know lickey dick about this issue. It's not even been proposed before that past borrowers lose the forgiveness benefit, and it's not being proposed now.

FSK

Postby FSK » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 am

Tom Joad wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:The problem is the cost of school, not the repayment programs. Reptiles in congress need to go to hell.

Did you even read the article? What was your RC score?

The article plainly says this is Obama's idea. Do you think Obama is in Congress or a reptile?

Both at this point.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:23 am

Tanicius wrote:
Any changes are not likely to affect those already enrolled, but would affect future graduates pursuing public service.

lol if you buy this.

You seem to be enjoying this too much to be anything but a troll. I don't believe you know lickey dick about this issue. It's not even been proposed before that past borrowers lose the forgiveness benefit, and it's not being proposed now.

It would make no sense to grandfather in current borrowers. How is that fair to future borrowers? And grandfathering old borrowers is plainly contrary to the bipartisan tide.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:27 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

lol if you buy this.

It would make no sense to grandfather in current borrowers. How is that fair to future borrowers? And grandfathering old borrowers is plainly contrary to the bipartisan tide.

Uh, it would make perfect sense to grandfather in past borrowers, since we made the choice to take out such high amounts of loans with the understanding that the government would be forgiving the debt. Cutting the forgiveness for people who have already taken out the loans does nothing to solve the perverse incentive problem, which is the reason democrats are supporting capping/eliminating PSLF.

This is why literally nobody on Capitol Hill has yet proposed cutting the past borrowers off. It's why the White House had to issue a rushed clarifying statement about grandfathering when everybody freaked out over its hush-hush DoE spitballed porposal a year ago.

As for the bipartisan tide, the entirety of PSLF is a bipartisan issue. It was passed under Bush.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:32 am

Tanicius wrote:Uh, it would make perfect sense to grandfather in past borrowers, since we made the choice to take out such high amounts of loans with the understanding that the government would be forgiving the debt.

Nobody rational would have took out loans in reliance on PSLF. Anybody with an interest in law school should know that laws can be repealed. There was never any reasonable reliance.

And even if a person did rely on PSLF, they are not screwed. They just need to pay their loans like everyone else. Moving from a position of extreme privilege to join the masses is not the end of the world.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Tanicius wrote:Uh, it would make perfect sense to grandfather in past borrowers, since we made the choice to take out such high amounts of loans with the understanding that the government would be forgiving the debt.

Nobody rational would have took out loans in reliance on PSLF. Anybody with an interest in law school should know that laws can be repealed. There was never any reasonable reliance.

And even if a person did rely on PSLF, they are not screwed. They just need to pay their loans like everyone else. Moving from a position of extreme privilege to join the masses is not the end of the world.

This is an example of how not to successfully troll. Sorry dude.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:35 am

Your trolling used to be a lot more subtle and well done. I r8 2.8/8, m8. Not gr8 b8.

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 am

Tom Joad wrote:
ymmv wrote:Doesn't this get posted every two months?

This time it is real. I work on the Hill and my wife works in the White House.

lol

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:38 am

Tom Joad wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

lol if you buy this.

Lol reliance bro.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 am

bjsesq wrote:Your trolling used to be a lot more subtle and well done. I r8 2.8/8, m8. Not gr8 b8.

You are dense if you don't think there will be PSLF/PAYE reform within the next 10 years.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 am

Tom Joad wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Your trolling used to be a lot more subtle and well done. I r8 2.8/8, m8. Not gr8 b8.

You are dense if you don't think there will be PSLF/PAYE reform within the next 10 years.

You are dense of you think this thread is effective

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:40 am

ymmv wrote:Lol reliance bro.

I already decimated this argument above.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 am

bjsesq wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

You are dense of you think this thread is effective

RollCall is a reputable site. If you aren't even going to back up your points with anything more than a single sentence, go troll elsewhere.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 am

Tom Joad wrote:

No one has disagreed with you on this. I agree with boo, your trolling used to be entertaining.

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:44 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

No one has disagreed with you on this. I agree with boo, your trolling used to be entertaining.

Did it?

Return to “Financial Aid”