Negotiating with Duke, NYU, Chicago, and Columbia Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lc0626

New

Negotiating with Duke, NYU, Chicago, and Columbia

Post by lc0626 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Current scholarship offers:

Columbia: Still pending
UChicago: $75,000
NYU: $67,500
Duke: $105,000 (I got a deposit deadline extension until 5/1.)

Since Duke has the highest amount of scholarship money (and the lowest COA), I'm planning to negotiate with NYU using Duke, and then negotiate with Columbia and UChicago using the hopefully increased NYU offer.

Am I taking the right strategy? Would there be a better way to do it? Any thoughts will be really appreciated!
Last edited by lc0626 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

motoman92

New

Re: Negotiating with Duke, NYU, Chicago, and Columbia

Post by motoman92 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 am

If I were you, I would go ahead and send chicago's offer to Columbia now, and carry out your negotiation strategy with NYU and Chi simultaneously. Either way, if columbia says yes or no, you will have a higher Chi offer to Leverage against columbia (Assuming NYU will bump you, and Chi will bump you in turn, which is a big if).

You only have a little over a week to accomplish all this, so I'd get cracking ASAP.

Also, if Columbia is your first choice, I'd ask for the amount you want and offer to commit to attend if they grant your request.

Good luck

Return to “Financial Aid”