Accepting an offer before hearing about scholarships bad?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
SGVBruin14

Accepting an offer before hearing about scholarships bad?

Postby SGVBruin14 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 pm

I have yet to hear about my scholarship situation with my top choice school but am considering accepting their offer anyway thinking it will not seriously affect scholarship considerations. But am I wrong in thinking this? Does it usually negatively impact your scholarship chances to accept before?

Thanks in advance! :D

smiles123

Re: Accepting an offer before hearing about scholarships bad?

Postby smiles123 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:58 pm

I think this is a bad idea... My guess is that if you accept the offer without a scholarship the school has much less incentive to give you one because they know you're planning to attend either way. I'd wait to accept.

SGVBruin14

Postby SGVBruin14 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:58 am

That makes sense. Thanks smiles123, I plan to take your advice and wait it out.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:37 am

You may want to invest in a course or book on negotiating tactics & strategies. Oh, and be sure to take along a friend when buying a new, or used, car.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 am

why would you not wait 2 weeks... if it could not have any adverse effects at all, why wouldnt you wait

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 am

Make those Berkeley bloodsuckers wait it out. We need to collectively stop drinking their blue and gold kool aid and lining the pockets of that FAT CAT Dean Tom. Dude has two first names and no last name FFS, no reason we should be unthinkingly throwing money at him.

Seriously, just be patient and play hard ball with them, don't go skipping off to sticker like everyone else at Boalt.

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:20 am

ilikebaseball wrote:why would you not wait 2 weeks... if it could not have any adverse effects at all, why wouldnt you wait

SGVBruin14

Postby SGVBruin14 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 am

CanadianWolf wrote:You may want to invest in a course or book on negotiating tactics & strategies. Oh, and be sure to take along a friend when buying a new, or used, car.

Sound advice. Dully noted.

ilikebaseball wrote:why would you not wait 2 weeks... if it could not have any adverse effects at all, why wouldnt you wait

Haha, I was anxious at the time and did not have any significant offers I was considering but things have changed. But why just 2 weeks?

BigZuck wrote:Make those Berkeley bloodsuckers wait it out. We need to collectively stop drinking their blue and gold kool aid and lining the pockets of that FAT CAT Dean Tom. Dude has two first names and no last name FFS, no reason we should be unthinkingly throwing money at him.

Seriously, just be patient and play hard ball with them, don't go skipping off to sticker like everyone else at Boalt.

LOL! Okay, I like you BigZuck. Let's be friends. :mrgreen:

Return to “Financial Aid”