Negotiate with Columbia using T20 offers?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
negativefeedback

Negotiate with Columbia using T20 offers?

Postby negativefeedback » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I got accepted to Columbia which is a dream come true, but all of my scholarship offers are from schools #16 and below. They are some really great offers (almost full tuition), but I really doubt Columbia is going to care for offers from schools outside the T14. I haven't heard back from any of the rest of the T14 except for Harvard and UVA who both waitlisted me. I didn't apply to Yale, so that leaves 10 schools who have yet to get back to me. Should I wait for acceptances and offers from other schools or should I go ahead and give Columbia my scholarship offers?

Gantor

Re: Negotiate with Columbia using T20 offers?

Postby Gantor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:02 am

Back when I was a lowly 0L, I tried to leverage hefty scholarships from both U Chicago and Berkeley. Columbia didn't care about those at all, so it's doubtful it'll change its initial financial aid award in light of T20 offers. I'm not sure whether there are any real advantages to bargaining for scholarships earlier rather than later when the difference might only be a matter of weeks. Especially in this scenario, where you're waiting on replies from the few schools Columbia might care about, I'd probably wait.

bearsfan23

Re: Negotiate with Columbia using T20 offers?

Postby bearsfan23 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:23 am

I'd definitely wait, esp if you're waiting to hear back still from so many schools. Columbia most likely won't care about even a full scholarship from a T20, but you might be able to negotiate your way up.

For instance, use the T20 offer to negotiate with a lower T14, then move up from there, etc, then once you have all your offers then try with CCN schools.

Good luck

Return to “Financial Aid”