Delete

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
RubyRod

Delete

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ub3r

Re: Negotiation with USC using lower UCLA numbers.

Postby ub3r » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:01 pm

USC offered me the same merit money as UCLA, initially. I approached them, citing what they already knew, which is that my cost of attending UCLA would be lower than attending USC. They then upped my merit scholarship a bit.

That said, UCLA is still cheaper for me, but it is true that USC understands an argument about COA versus merit aid alone.

kbuckley177

Re: Negotiation with USC using lower UCLA merit+need.

Postby kbuckley177 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 pm

I think part of the reason that USC bumped up my scholarship is because I received the same amount from ND, where the cost of attendance is significantly lower. I mentioned the cost difference in my email and they responded with a 10k per year increase. Notre Dame is a similarly ranked school, but I think it mattered more in my case that USC was a much more expensive option, so they adjusted my financial aid accordingly.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:54 pm

kbuckley177 wrote:I think part of the reason that USC bumped up my scholarship is because I received the same amount from ND, where the cost of attendance is significantly lower. I mentioned the cost difference in my email and they responded with a 10k per year increase. Notre Dame is a similarly ranked school, but I think it mattered more in my case that USC was a much more expensive option, so they adjusted my financial aid accordingly.

Yeah but Vandy was a much cheaper higher ranked option in the long run. I guess it has to be equal $$ and less expensive COA

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:16 am

kbuckley177 wrote:I think part of the reason that USC bumped up my scholarship is because I received the same amount from ND, where the cost of attendance is significantly lower. I mentioned the cost difference in my email and they responded with a 10k per year increase. Notre Dame is a similarly ranked school, but I think it mattered more in my case that USC was a much more expensive option, so they adjusted my financial aid accordingly.

kbuck, where is your residency rn?
(Y/N): Are you a CA resident?
Last edited by LawsRUs on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:17 am

mec, it is def worth a shot. I would walk through how you arrived at the numbers in your email.

Also, I think they understand that CA residency is relatively easier to obtain than other states if you follow what's required.
+ I think it is reasonable to think that you would keep your need based aid.

Have you shown Vandy your offers from USC and UCLA?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:43 am

Return to “Financial Aid”