Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
everton125
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:22 am

Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Postby everton125 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 am

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice about how to best go about leveraging other acceptances and scholarship offers in order to get more money from Duke, which is currently my top choice for a number of reasons I don't feel like going into now. Specifically, I am curious as to which schools and offers I should actually mention to Duke out of those listed below. I think all of them can act as leverage to some extent, but I am guessing some will be more effective than others and that just mentioning all of them is not the best strategy.

Acceptances and Scholarship Offers:

1) Duke: $75,000
2) Cornell: $90,000
3) Northwestern: $105,000
4) Columbia: No offer yet -- not sure what to expect
5) NYU: No offer yet, but I am a finalist for the IILJ Scholars Program, and I expect some money regardless
6) WUSTL: Full Tuition
7) Emory: $108,000
8 ) Vanderbilt: $95,000

Also, should I be attaching the corresponding email or scanned in letter detailing any offers I mention to Duke as proof of the offers, or will they just take me at my word?

Thanks!
Last edited by everton125 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ReasonableNprudent
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:50 am

everton125 wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for some advice about how to best go about leveraging other acceptances and scholarship offers in order to get more money from Duke, which is currently my top choice for a number of reasons I don't feel like going into now. Specifically, I am curious as to which schools and offers I should actually mention to Duke out of those listed below. I think all of them can act as leverage to some extent, but I am guessing some will be more effective than others and that just mentioning all of them is not the best strategy.

Acceptances and Scholarship Offers:

1) Duke: $75,000
2) Cornell: $90,000
3) Northwestern: $105,000
4) Columbia: No offer yet -- not sure what to expect
5) NYU: No offer yet, but I am a finalist for the IILJ Scholars Program, and I expect some money regardless
6) WUSTL: Full Tuition
7) Emory: $108,000
8) Vanderbilt: $95,000

Also, should I be attaching the corresponding email or scanned in letter detailing any offers I mention to Duke as proof of the offers, or will they just take me at my word?

Thanks!


They won't take you at your word. They will want evidence.

I'd send all the offer letters, politely ask for more, highlight any soft accomplishments/involvement in key activities/overall worth, and talk about your interest in the institution but that you must be pragmatic in your decision making.

You really don't have a compelling reason for them to give you more. My suggestions are more or less BSing, but you have to give them some reason, even if they know it is kind of BS.


Nice offers, though. Congrats!

everton125
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:22 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Postby everton125 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 am

ReasonableNprudent wrote:
everton125 wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for some advice about how to best go about leveraging other acceptances and scholarship offers in order to get more money from Duke, which is currently my top choice for a number of reasons I don't feel like going into now. Specifically, I am curious as to which schools and offers I should actually mention to Duke out of those listed below. I think all of them can act as leverage to some extent, but I am guessing some will be more effective than others and that just mentioning all of them is not the best strategy.

Acceptances and Scholarship Offers:

1) Duke: $75,000
2) Cornell: $90,000
3) Northwestern: $105,000
4) Columbia: No offer yet -- not sure what to expect
5) NYU: No offer yet, but I am a finalist for the IILJ Scholars Program, and I expect some money regardless
6) WUSTL: Full Tuition
7) Emory: $108,000
8) Vanderbilt: $95,000

Also, should I be attaching the corresponding email or scanned in letter detailing any offers I mention to Duke as proof of the offers, or will they just take me at my word?

Thanks!


They won't take you at your word. They will want evidence.

I'd send all the offer letters, politely ask for more, highlight any soft accomplishments/involvement in key activities/overall worth, and talk about your interest in the institution but that you must be pragmatic in your decision making.

You really don't have a compelling reason for them to give you more. My suggestions are more or less BSing, but you have to give them some reason, even if they know it is kind of BS.


Nice offers, though. Congrats!


Thanks for the feedback.

You don't think the larger offers from Northwestern and Cornell are at all compelling? I get that Duke is the better school, but I would think those offers would at least get them thinking.
Last edited by everton125 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ReasonableNprudent
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:20 am

everton125 wrote:
ReasonableNprudent wrote:
everton125 wrote:Hi all,

I am looking for some advice about how to best go about leveraging other acceptances and scholarship offers in order to get more money from Duke, which is currently my top choice for a number of reasons I don't feel like going into now. Specifically, I am curious as to which schools and offers I should actually mention to Duke out of those listed below. I think all of them can act as leverage to some extent, but I am guessing some will be more effective than others and that just mentioning all of them is not the best strategy.

Acceptances and Scholarship Offers:

1) Duke: $75,000
2) Cornell: $90,000
3) Northwestern: $105,000
4) Columbia: No offer yet -- not sure what to expect
5) NYU: No offer yet, but I am a finalist for the IILJ Scholars Program, and I expect some money regardless
6) WUSTL: Full Tuition
7) Emory: $108,000
8) Vanderbilt: $95,000

Also, should I be attaching the corresponding email or scanned in letter detailing any offers I mention to Duke as proof of the offers, or will they just take me at my word?

Thanks!


They won't take you at your word. They will want evidence.

I'd send all the offer letters, politely ask for more, highlight any soft accomplishments/involvement in key activities/overall worth, and talk about your interest in the institution but that you must be pragmatic in your decision making.

You really don't have a compelling reason for them to give you more. My suggestions are more or less BSing, but you have to give them some reason, even if they know it is kind of BS.


Nice offers, though. Congrats!


You don't think the larger offers from Northwestern and Cornell are at all compelling? I get that Duke is the better school, but I would think those offers would at least get them thinking.


I think they will know you are soliciting them because that is where you really want to attend.

The Cornell offer really isn't that far off and is a less attractive school primarily for geographical reasons. The Northwestern offer is obviously higher, but are you really thinking about taking that offer over Duke? I have the advantage of having read that Duke is your #1, but if all you asked was "will Duke raise their offer based on NW" I'd still know you really want Duke.

Also, chances are good that they will find someone else that does just as much for their class metrics they can throw that $$$ at if you don't take it.

I think your offers are more or less scaled to each other. I think they will think that too.

But it doesn't matter what I think. Show all offers and ask for a bump, telling both why you want it and why you deserve it. Either you'll get it or you won't.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3627
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Postby KMart » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:05 am

ReasonableNprudent wrote:But it doesn't matter what I think. Show all offers and ask for a bump, telling both why you want it and why you deserve it. Either you'll get it or you won't.

The worst they can tell you is no, OP. Put your offers on the table and see what happens. Best of luck to you. Everything else the above poster hammered home and is 100% what I would say.

User avatar
ReasonableNprudent
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Scholarship Negotiations - Advice Needed

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:14 am

Also, when it comes to one of these schools being "better" the difference is virtually negligible in terms of education and is largely tied to (slight) external factors. The whole thing is a game in that the schools try to further manipulate what they can control to compensate. And they should, I suppose, because why wouldn't they?

My opinion is that it really comes down to whether you want the Ferrari of the Lambo. And of course it also depends on what the best deal is.

You probably know this, but it is still worth putting down in the scribe for others to see.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests