Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Shyguy4
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby Shyguy4 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:52 pm

The T14 I am negotiating with has a seat deposit deadline in late April, however I just had another offer at a T20 increased to a full scholarship. The full tuition scholarship offer has a deposit deadline of April 1, so can I use this offer to negotiate with the T14 even after the seat deposit has passed? I obviously won't be attending if I am negotiating with the T14 in mid April but I want to use this full tuition offer as leverage. Can anyone help explain how this works?

User avatar
JamesMcGillEsquire
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Interested in this as well. As long as we don't say the deadline hasn't passed, it's not like we're lying right?

krnpridejk
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby krnpridejk » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:53 pm

Shyguy4 wrote:The T14 I am negotiating with has a seat deposit deadline in late April, however I just had another offer at a T20 increased to a full scholarship. The full tuition scholarship offer has a deposit deadline of April 1, so can I use this offer to negotiate with the T14 even after the seat deposit has passed? I obviously won't be attending if I am negotiating with the T14 in mid April but I want to use this full tuition offer as leverage. Can anyone help explain how this works?


I would say try calling the T20 school that offered you the full scholly and explain that while that school is one of the top choices you are considering at the moment, you still need some more time to make your decision. They might be willing/able to extend the seat deposit deadline. If not, check up on their refund policy for deposits. It might be well worth it to deposit at the T20 school to keep the offer alive, while you try negotiating w/ the T14 school, and then asking for the full or partial refund at the former, once you successfully negotiate a higher $$ from the T14.

Anyways, congrats on your achievements! Full scholarship at T20 might very well be an excellent option for you, depending on the exact rank of the T14 school(s) you want to negotiate with, your future career goals, location of both schools! :)

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby RubyRod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:33 am

.
Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ReasonableNprudent
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:57 am

mec896 wrote:Not sure if this is TCR for all schools, but I had an admissions dean tell me to skip the deposit deadline if he can't get me more money beforehand, i.e. he will give me more money even if I am late on the deposit. Obviously I will have pleasant phone calls/emails with said person ahead of time to ensure he is still encouraging this. I am also above both 75ths in this situation.


This is definitely not TCR for most schools. You had a special invite to wait and not deposit.

I had schools both decline to entertain increases and completely rescind scholly offers after missing their deadlines. To be fair, I also had a school write with a new and better offer after I didn't deposit by the deadline. I wouldn't bank on receiving a better offer for not depositing, though. I think multiple depositing sends the message you are still interested but it's going to take persuasion.

User avatar
JamesMcGillEsquire
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 pm

But if we don't get a deadline extension and decide not to deposit, can we still use an "expired" offer as leverage at another school?

User avatar
ReasonableNprudent
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:19 pm

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:But if we don't get a deadline extension and decide not to deposit, can we still use an "expired" offer as leverage at another school?


You will learn your 1L year that an "expired" offer isn't really an offer at all.
You can try using it but it probably won't carry much clout other than in showing your target school how special the other school thought you were. In terms of bargaining power you really ddon't have any, as you are now unable to accept the other offer since it is expired.

hopeandpray
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Re: Negotiating Using Offers Past Deposit Deadline

Postby hopeandpray » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Reviving this thread for 2016! If anyone has any actual experience trying this, please let us know.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PrezRand and 2 guests