Question about books!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
itascot1992
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Question about books!

Postby itascot1992 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 pm

I am curious to how much people spend on 1L books, supplements, etc. I am trying to make a budget of expenses for the upcoming year!

Thanks

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Question about books!

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:58 pm

itascot1992 wrote:I am curious to how much people spend on 1L books, supplements, etc. I am trying to make a budget of expenses for the upcoming year!

Thanks

It really depends. Some buy all new everything (lol), some rent and buy used as much as possible, some buy lots of supplements and some don't buy any, etc.

If I had to take a stab at how much the average person spends each semester, I'm guessing around 200-300?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Question about books!

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:11 am

BigZuck wrote:
itascot1992 wrote:I am curious to how much people spend on 1L books, supplements, etc. I am trying to make a budget of expenses for the upcoming year!

Thanks

It really depends. Some buy all new everything (lol), some rent and buy used as much as possible, some buy lots of supplements and some don't buy any, etc.

If I had to take a stab at how much the average person spends each semester, I'm guessing around 200-300?

lol. I had terms over $800 and single books over $200.

Even if you buy used and/or rent, you're not going to get every book for $20. Some are still going to be $80 or $150 or whatever. A lot of profs love to choose the newest editions, so used may not be an option.

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Question about books!

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:17 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
itascot1992 wrote:I am curious to how much people spend on 1L books, supplements, etc. I am trying to make a budget of expenses for the upcoming year!

Thanks

It really depends. Some buy all new everything (lol), some rent and buy used as much as possible, some buy lots of supplements and some don't buy any, etc.

If I had to take a stab at how much the average person spends each semester, I'm guessing around 200-300?

lol. I had terms over $800 and single books over $200.

Even if you buy used and/or rent, you're not going to get every book for $20. Some are still going to be $80 or $150 or whatever. A lot of profs love to choose the newest editions, so used may not be an option.

Me too. That's why I said it depends

Some people see a $200 book and they lolnope it and buy the previous edition for 3 bucks. Or they don't buy it at all and scan it from a friend. Page by page by page by page. Or they just don't read it at all.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw and 2 guests