Getting any $$$ from a t-14 law school as a splitter?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
emilymoore04

Getting any $$$ from a t-14 law school as a splitter?

Postby emilymoore04 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:03 pm

Last edited by emilymoore04 on Tue May 19, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatsnotmyname

Re: Getting any $$$ from a t-14 law school as a splitter?

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:09 pm

If you actually get a 177-179 you will definitely get money from somewhere in the T14. At this point, if you have already obtained your bachelors degree and your GPA is set in stone the only thing that you can do is focus on the LSAT and make sure that you get the highest score that you are capable of. Once you have that in place, all you can do is apply broadly to the T14 and wait to see what sort of scholarship offers they come back with. All you can do for now is just focus on doing well on the LSAT, if you have that everything else will fall into place for you.

emilymoore04

Postby emilymoore04 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:20 pm

thanks! yeah, my GPA is set in stone at this point. And I'm studying really hard for the LSAT. Do you have any idea on which schools tend to give aid to splitters. I know that NYU is a splitter friendly school in terms of admissions, but how are they in terms of scholarships/aid?

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Admissions cycles for splitters are a bit unpredictable and where and how much money splitters will receive is even more unpredictable. You can look at applicant's with similar numbers to yours and their experiences with scholarships using this site: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/

Really, though, worrying about scholarship money before you even know where you have a shot of being admitted is like putting the carriage before the horse. Just worry about doing well on the LSAT for now. If you take care of that everything else will fall into place and you will very likely get decent money at a lower T14.
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:28 pm

You should ED Northwestern. If you get in ED, you'll get a $150,000 scholarship and it's probably your best chance for big money. You should also blanket the T14 and try to negotiate money at the end of your cycle.

Alan Grant

Postby Alan Grant » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:31 pm

UVA may give you big money, too

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Alan Grant wrote:UVA may give you big money, too

Based on this most recent cycle, it does not appear that splitters have a good chance of receiving big money at UVA. Based on LSN, there were very few people with less than a 3.6 GPA receiving scholarships at UVA this cycle. It doesn't mean that splitters shouldn't apply if they have an interest in attending UVA, but I don't think UVA's scholarship process is anymore generous to lower GPA candidates than its peer schools, at least not based on this cycle.

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... cholarship

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Just over 3.5/173 here. Got 75k or so from lower t14, 25k or so from NYU. I under-performed my numbers, you would likely beat that.

Dog

Postby Dog » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:36 pm

emilymoore04 wrote:thanks! yeah, my GPA is set in stone at this point. And I'm studying really hard for the LSAT. Do you have any idea on which schools tend to give aid to splitters. I know that NYU is a splitter friendly school in terms of admissions, but how are they in terms of scholarships/aid?

I had a slightly higher GPA (3.6) and a 174 LSAT. The schools that looked aid friendly were Northwestern and Cornell. The others that looked like they could enter consideration were Michigan, Duke, and maybe Chicago if i got lucky. Columbia and NYU could give you 40 - 50k but you'd still have a ton of debt.

I don't have any useful info about most of those possibilities because I decided to apply ED NU. It's probably a decent idea for you although if your GPA is actually a 3.4 like your old thread mentioned your chances are pretty dicey especially given your k-jd status.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Can a mod please ban OP? They keep making threads with different scores and gpas asking about where they should apply/$ ect. Back in like October you were supposedly applying because you had a 3.4/177, then your score went up to 179 randomly and now your planning on taking in June because you don't have a score...wtf

Return to “Financial Aid”