Vandebilt Dean's Leadership Award

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
deedubs

Vandebilt Dean's Leadership Award

Postby deedubs » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:24 pm

The award is a $5,000 stipend for the summer, or for the second year.
The letter I received did not say that I received any other scholarships, but the letter says things like: "The Dean's Leadership Award represents our desire to invest in your total legal education by providing financial support not only for your classroom studies but also for you to gain experience..."
Does the stipend presuppose a scholarship, or did I get snubbed?

I'm going to call them tomorrow, but I'm hoping someone out there could give me a quicker answer.

Dipper

Re: Vandebilt Dean's Leadership Award

Postby Dipper » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:03 pm

deedubs wrote:The award is a $5,000 stipend for the summer, or for the second year.
The letter I received did not say that I received any other scholarships, but the letter says things like: "The Dean's Leadership Award represents our desire to invest in your total legal education by providing financial support not only for your classroom studies but also for you to gain experience..."
Does the stipend presuppose a scholarship, or did I get snubbed?

I'm going to call them tomorrow, but I'm hoping someone out there could give me a quicker answer.

Same thing happened to me. I heard that the scholarship letter is sometimes (always?) in a different mailing, so it's possible the dean's award just arrived earlier than the scholarship letter.

PKP319

Postby PKP319 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:07 pm

I got my scholarship letter a few days before the Dean's Leadership Award letter, although the original general scholarship letter did mention the extra 5k. They are separate mailings but in my case the general scholarship info came first. So it may be worth calling or emailing the admissions office to clarify.

deedubs

Postby deedubs » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 pm

PKP319 wrote:I got my scholarship letter a few days before the Dean's Leadership Award letter, although the original general scholarship letter did mention the extra 5k. They are separate mailings but in my case the general scholarship info came first. So it may be worth calling or emailing the admissions office to clarify.

Y'all are sweethearts. You have made my day that much better.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:41 pm

PKP319 wrote:I got my scholarship letter a few days before the Dean's Leadership Award letter, although the original general scholarship letter did mention the extra 5k. They are separate mailings but in my case the general scholarship info came first. So it may be worth calling or emailing the admissions office to clarify.

My scholarship letter came first as well.

I just checked the wording and the scholarship is listed as: "Dean's Scholarship" whereas the other letter ($5K) refers to a "Dean's Leadership Award". That might indicate that it's possible to get just the one although both of my letters make reference to both.

The $5K, Dean's Leadership Award letter specifically says: "As indicated in your scholarship letter" in the second line.

Hopefully that helps (although you've probably already contacted Vanderbilt by now)! :mrgreen:

jrc223

Postby jrc223 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:58 pm

I got the Dean's Leadership Award letter before I received my actual scholarship letter, fwiw.

Return to “Financial Aid”