Inquiring about scholarship before an offer has been made

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
User avatar

Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am

Inquiring about scholarship before an offer has been made

Postby BearsintheRafters » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:33 pm

I apologize if this has already been answered. I wanted to ask whether it's bad form to ask about a school's scholarship offer before they've made it. Right now School A is my top choice, but I haven't received a scholarship offer from them. School B is a peer school that I'm less interested in, but School B has offered me a 50% tuition scholarship. Should I email School A and tell them about the offer from School B? School A has a reputation for matching scholarships from School B, so I don't think it would be out of the ordinary. I've been waiting, but now that it's March I'm getting a little antsy.



Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Inquiring about scholarship before an offer has been made

Postby thatsnotmyname » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm

It's best to wait before reaching out unless the scholarship that you received has a stipulation that you have to respond before a certain time and you are getting very close to that time. The earliest deadline that a school can place on accepting a scholarship is April 1, so you still have plenty of time before then to wait to hear the school's initial offer.

ETA: Also, considered good form due to the fact that the second school may have offered a larger scholarship than you expected otherwise. Also, I believe an exception to this rule may be Berkeley with their matching scholarship program, as students from Berkeley who post on here have said that it's best to submit your request for a matching scholarship from them as soon as possible as it seems that their funds dry up very quickly. I believe with Georgetown also, there are posters on here who have shared their success from just inquiring about whether or not they were being considered for a merit scholarship who had success and felt that they would not have received a scholarship otherwise. But in general, it is best to wait and see what the school's initial offer is. Posters may be able to provide better advice if they know the exact school you are waiting to hear back from.

User avatar

Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Re: Inquiring about scholarship before an offer has been made

Postby tealeaves12 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:12 am

edit - deleted this post because i posted in the wrong topic somehow.

Return to “Financial Aid�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests