Scholarship chances for splitters?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
kray

Scholarship chances for splitters?

Postby kray » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:36 pm

I apologize if I'm re-posting a topic, but didn't see anything about this specifically.

Does anyone have experience in being offered $$$ as a splitter? I am GPA<25% and LSAT>75% for most of the schools I am considering. I applied with a Feb LSAT. Do I have any shot at money?

Thanks for any input!

Hikikomorist

Re: Scholarship chances for splitters?

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 pm

Are GW and GT the only two law schools to which you applied?

ticklemesilly

Postby ticklemesilly » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Those schools tend to be stingy with the scholly money (based on TLS reputation anyway)

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 pm

It varies a lot by school. WUSTL has a great reputation for awarding $$$ to splitters. LSN was really helpful in helping me get a sense of where I might get offers. I've only had merit aid decisions from three schools so far, but all three of those were in line with my expectations from LSN. I'm also <25th GPA >75th LSAT for those three schools, and I got a little over 60% at both Minnesota and WUSTL and 33% from William & Mary.

ticklemesilly makes a good point about overall stinginess too. A really good way to get a sense of this is from each school's ABA 509 form. For example, GULC's shows that only 11% of full-time students get half to full tuition, vs. WUSTL's 32.6%. Overall, 36.9% of full-time students get *any* merit aid at GULC, vs. 76.2% at WUSTL. So I have an idea that if I fall into the 1/2-full tuition bucket at WUSTL along with 33% of people, then I'll almost certainly end up in the <1/2 at GULC.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:29 am

I applied with a December LSAT and I'm usually around 25% GPA, 75%+ LSAT. I've gotten pretty good money from sub T-14 schools (pretty much all just under full-rides minus GW and Minnesota). Nothing yet from T-14s, but I'm hopeful! :mrgreen:

Return to “Financial Aid”