Parents Won't Fill Out FAFSA - Please Help

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
schoollaw

Parents Won't Fill Out FAFSA - Please Help

Postby schoollaw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance for posting a personal problem on TLS. I just don't know where else to go.

I got into my dream law school ED. Students are not considered for need-based financial aid unless parents complete the parent part of the FAFSA (I did get approved for loans, however). The deadline was mid-February, and I cannot convince my parents to complete the forms. They won't believe me that their part is required. Even if i do convince them, the application will be very late.

Anyone been in this situation before or know what to do? Should I just apply to a ton of outside scholarships? Maybe contact the school and let them know what is going on? Keep nagging my parents?

Thank you,

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

Re: Parents Won't Fill Out FAFSA - Please Help

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:41 pm

What school? At most schools need aid is a total flame.

How much do you think they actually made?

schoollaw

Postby schoollaw » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi Desert Fox, thanks for your reply. The school has a large endowment and is known for giving out financial aid to ED applicants. I don't know my parents' financial situation (I am financially independent) but do know that they are stretched for money. I did get quite a bit of need-based aid for undergrad.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:50 pm

You can call the school and explain, and maybe they'll give you a break on the requirement that your parents submit and just evaluate your file for merit aid only.

Most law schools give very little need-based aid, even when people are legitimately needy. Nearly all aid given is merit-based. The rest is made up by the same loans that are available to everyone regardless of need. So you probably weren't going to get need-based aid anyway.

Since you weren't going to get need-based aid anyway, the only real problem is if the lack of your parents' info is holding up your entire app for all aid, and that's where the phone call to the school comes in.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:51 pm

just sue them dude

Return to “Financial Aid”