Negotiating with UVA

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Negotiating with UVA

Postby elliot12345 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Hey TLS, I could use some advice on how to approach my financial aid negotiations with UVA. I'm coming straight out of a top-20 school with a 168 LSAT and 3.87 GPA as a physics and mathematics double major. At this point, UVA is definitely my first choice and I have been fortunate enough to receive a 90K offer from them. Since I am interested in studying IP law and want to work in los angeles eventually, I'm wondering whether it is worth it to use my Berkeley acceptance or USC's offer of full tuition as leverage in some way. In the event that berkeley gives me money or some other peer school matches UVA's offer, is it appropriate for me to ask for more?

Re: Negotiating with UVA

Postby RareExports » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:35 pm

With a physics/math double major and that GPA, I would be surprised if you couldn't get higher on the LSAT. If you can get 170+ you become a lot more valuable to UVA and you could probably negotiate from there.

Postby swampman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 pm

The Berkeley acceptance won't do anything for you if they haven't offered you money. USC is a few steps down from UVA, and the cost of living is a lot higher, so I doubt your full scholarship will give you much leverage. The 90k offer seems pretty fair given your current alternatives. If you have other acceptances, try starting with USC and negotiating up the food chain.

Definitely do not try to say you would rather be on the west coast so UVA should give you more money. That will hurt you.

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:02 pm

It's always appropriate to ask for more. Doubt UVA budges for anything other than NYU+ however. Also I don't think Berkeley acknowledges UVA as a law school so might not be able to use that for leverage there. USC won't motivate either.

Definitely retake in June.

Return to “Financial Aid”