Parent Information

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Parent Information

Postby uf58161 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Does anyone know how to tell if the school needs your parental information for the FAFSA? I know I put independent, but I heard some schools will require parent info but I have been on every school's website that I am applying to and can't find the information on whether or not they want the parent info for FAFSA. Thanks!

Re: Parent Information

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:53 pm

You have to dig through the website. Of the top 14 schools, I think UVA and Berkeley require it (there are some exceptions if you are of a certain age or have certain extenuating circumstances).

If you are really not sure you'll probably have to call and ask.

Re: Parent Information

Postby antiworldly » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 pm

If they require the need access/have some in-house form, they most likely won't look at it on the FAFSA even if you put it on there, and those that don't will want you to put it on the FAFSA. My advise? Put it on there. If they don't need the info from there, they won't care, at least according to the Georgetown financial aid officer I talked to.

Return to “Financial Aid”