Michigan v. Notre Dame

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mina_ami

Michigan v. Notre Dame

Postby mina_ami » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 pm

I recently received a pretty hefty scholarship from Notre Dame ($120,000 over 3 years), but have yet to get anything from Michigan (and at this point likely won't unless I can manage to snag some need-based aid). Michigan is my goal, I really don't want to go anywhere else, however, at what point is the money simply not worth it?

Could Michigan consider Notre Dame competitive enough that I could request a reconsideration of aid?

LSAT: 166, GPA: 3.82

Okie25

Re: Michigan v. Notre Dame

Postby Okie25 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Couple more points on the LSAT and you're looking at $$$ from Michigan. Don't waste that GPA on notre dame. Retake

mina_ami

Postby mina_ami » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:15 pm

Okie25 wrote:Couple more points on the LSAT and you're looking at $$$ from Michigan. Don't waste that GPA on notre dame. Retake

Retaking is not an option. Yet this seems to be the only "advice" a lot of folks on this site are capable of giving.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm

I mean what the hell else are we supposed to say? You asked about how to get Michigan for a cheaper price. The answer is to retake in June and get more scholarship money after you improve your LSAT score. This isn't rocket science.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:22 pm

why can't you retake?

mina_ami

Postby mina_ami » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:why can't you retake?

Time. I can't wait another year just to hope I get a couple more points on my LSAT. The only remaining test is in June, and Michigan is summer start.

Tiago Splitter wrote:I mean what the hell else are we supposed to say? You asked about how to get Michigan for a cheaper price. The answer is to retake in June and get more scholarship money after you improve your LSAT score. This isn't rocket science.

That's not what I asked though. I just want to know if Michigan would consider Notre Dame competitive enough to reconsider my aid.

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

[fighting every troll instinct in me right now]

OP, to answer your question: no, michigan at sticker is not worth it. t14 and lower tuition than most, but comparatively soft employment data (e.g. low fed clerk rate, 10% "non"-employed (wtf that means.))

if you want michigan and money is an object, then your only option is the one that rhymes with "teacake."

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 am

First, you might want to call Michigan and ask if they can confirm you aren't getting a scholarship offer. Maybe they haven't reviewed your file for that purpose yet.

Next, did you get into any schools between Notre Dame and Michigan? You could try negotiating with the school(s) in between with Notre Dame as leverage to build a better matching case for Michigan.

If that fails you could simply go to Michigan with the Notre Dame offer and see what happens. Worse they can say is no.

Good luck!

iguazu

Postby iguazu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:58 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:I mean what the hell else are we supposed to say? You asked about how to get Michigan for a cheaper price. The answer is to retake in June and get more scholarship money after you improve your LSAT score. This isn't rocket science.

I'm planning to retake in June for this same purpose. Small investment of $$ and time for a potentially big reward

Return to “Financial Aid”