Where / how should I expect $$??

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JBravo

Where / how should I expect $$??

Postby JBravo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Hey there!

So far in the application process I have received a $120K offer from WUSTL a $90K offer from UCLA and $75k from George Washington as well as acceptances to GULC and Cornell. I have yet to hear from all the other T14, which I blanketed. My question is, should I expect $$$ from schools in the T14? If so, do I wait for those offers to come organically or pursue them actively by leveraging other offers? When do I leverage and bargain for $$$ from T14 schools and how do I go about doing it? Sorry for the naivete of these questions I have no idea how this works and I am extremely debt averse.

Thank you!

KMart

Re: Where / how should I expect $$??

Postby KMart » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 pm

We need to know your stats in order to predict if you're going to get money, but searching through mylsn helps average the money given if you just plug in your stats. Wait for offers to come in on their own and then leverage them against each other. Some schools match, some don't. It's worth a shot asking. You have to do peer schools, though. You can't leverage Wash U with Yale.

hypebeast

Postby hypebeast » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:02 pm

Looking at OPs profile it looks like he has a 3.7 and a 171. I have similar numbers, GPA is a bit higher, closer to 3.8 than 3.7. So far I've gotten the same $120K offer from WUSTL as you, a $90K offer from GWU, and a $75K offer from Michigan. Michigan is the only T14 that has gotten back to me on money so far. I feel like that $75K is probably a good indicator of what you can expect from most of the lower T14. I guess since your GPA is a bit lower maybe adjust down some to maybe like 60K?

I would guess that your numbers might get you 60-90K for T6-T10 schools that you're admitted to if they give you money and depending how much they like you from your application. I feel like 75-90K is a decent guess for the max offer in the T14 you can expect and potentially expect a bit more from Cornell/Northwestern if you applied there as they seem to be more aggressive with large scholarship amounts to 170+ LSATs.

JBravo

Postby JBravo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:52 am

Yup stats are 3.67 and a 171. Thanks for the responses!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:22 am

whereselizabeth

Postby whereselizabeth » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:44 pm

how did you get an offer from UCLA already? I thought they hadn't sent them out yet, unless I missed something...

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:46 am

whereselizabeth wrote:how did you get an offer from UCLA already? I thought they hadn't sent them out yet, unless I missed something...

wondering this^^^

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:57 am

JBravo wrote:Hey there!

So far in the application process I have received a $120K offer from WUSTL a $90K offer from UCLA and $75k from George Washington as well as acceptances to GULC and Cornell. I have yet to hear from all the other T14, which I blanketed. My question is, should I expect $$$ from schools in the T14? If so, do I wait for those offers to come organically or pursue them actively by leveraging other offers? When do I leverage and bargain for $$$ from T14 schools and how do I go about doing it? Sorry for the naivete of these questions I have no idea how this works and I am extremely debt averse.

Thank you!

You're getting way ahead of yourself if you want to start negotiating scholarships and you haven't even heard back from the majority of schools you applied to. You should wait until you have more leverage before trying to negotiate anything. You're going to get some money from the lower T14 with your stats so you really just need to wait. I think trying to actively get scholarships now will hurt you.

Return to “Financial Aid”