Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Postby sneakypat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:45 am

Hi all,

I have a question about need-based aid. I'm working on my NeedAccess form and noticed that for divorced parents, they require financial information from the non-custodial parent as well as the non-custodial parent's spouse (i.e. my stepmom). Will their money have an effect on my aid? FAFSA doesn't require non-custodial information, so I've never experienced this before...essentially, my dad and his wife have been out of the picture for a long time and do not provide assistance of any kind. Not even phone calls.

My dad has not had custody since 1996, and my mom's entry-level job income is not substantial enough to help with college for any of my siblings or I. In undergrad I received aid and pell grants, but I'm worried that I won't receive any need based aid because of my step parent's inflated income/assets to which I have no access.

Thoughts? Anyone been in a similar situation?

Thank you!

Re: NeedAccess/Stepparents

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:18 pm

You might want to start by calling the school(s) in question and asking for advice. If true, you should advise the financial aid office that you are out of contact with you dad and step mom and cannot get the requested information.

In any case, if the schools ask you to include this information and you manage to get it you should definitely include an explanation.

Return to “Financial Aid”