Negotiate with UM help

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ariel_917

Negotiate with UM help

Postby ariel_917 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:23 pm

I received a scholarship from the university of Miami for 25k a year and a scholly from FIU for full tuition. I am still waiting to hear from UF FSU and Emory. I want to know if I should try to negotiate my scholly with UM now by comparing it to FIU or just wait until I hear back from the other schools. I just applied for the other schools in January and I'm afraid it may take a while.

tortsandtiaras

Re: Negotiate with UM help

Postby tortsandtiaras » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:01 pm

ariel_917 wrote:I received a scholarship from the university of Miami for 25k a year and a scholly from FIU for full tuition. I am still waiting to hear from UF FSU and Emory. I want to know if I should try to negotiate my scholly with UM now by comparing it to FIU or just wait until I hear back from the other schools. I just applied for the other schools in January and I'm afraid it may take a while.

Wait until Mid-march before negotiating scholarships...

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:44 am

I don't know about mid-march, but definitely wait until you hear back from the other schools.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:20 am

the few TLSers (162+) who tried to negotiate with UM in February were all shut down.

Skool

Postby Skool » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 am

Consider joining the conversation over here (if you haven't already), there are some knowledgable people who might be able to help out.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27221

I don't know enough about the three schools to make a a good suggestion to you about what's most likely to get results.

However, April 1 is the first day law schools can pressure you to deposit after they have formally made an aid offer. Because of this , I would suggest you view skeptically any advice that has you waiting til mid march. That time will fly by and you might find yourself wanting more time for more back and forth .

TheProdigal

Postby TheProdigal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:25 am

ariel_917 wrote:I received a scholarship from the university of Miami for 25k a year and a scholly from FIU for full tuition. I am still waiting to hear from UF FSU and Emory. I want to know if I should try to negotiate my scholly with UM now by comparing it to FIU or just wait until I hear back from the other schools. I just applied for the other schools in January and I'm afraid it may take a while.

You've got to start the ball rolling somewhere, and you're well-served by having your two lowest schools ready to go. Start talking to UM -- the last thing you're going to want is be staring down deposit deadlines while waiting to hear back from UM so you can finally begin the process with FSU and UF.

Return to “Financial Aid”