Do schools ever pay for housing, books etc?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Bilb0Baggins

Do schools ever pay for housing, books etc?

Postby Bilb0Baggins » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:54 pm

I am incredibly thankful to have received a full-tuition scholarship at a school I'd be happy attending....

...but I am wondering, is it possible to negotiate a scholarship to also cover the ~$45k in non-tuition costs of attendance (books, housing, fees, etc.)?

I don't know whether to just thankfully accept this near free ride, or to also try and use the (relatively significant) leverage I have with this school to ask for fuller financial support.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Do schools ever pay for housing, books etc?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 am

Check out the school's 509 report here:

http://www.abarequireddisclosures.org/

On the first page you'll see info about scholarships, including how many students are receiving more than full tuition. Even if that number is zero it's worth asking about, but that number will give you a better idea of the odds. Also make sure to apply broadly and negotiate scholarships elsewhere so you have as much ammunition as possible.

huskies2015

Postby huskies2015 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Bilb0Baggins wrote:I am incredibly thankful to have received a full-tuition scholarship at a school I'd be happy attending....

...but I am wondering, is it possible to negotiate a scholarship to also cover the ~$45k in non-tuition costs of attendance (books, housing, fees, etc.)?

I don't know whether to just thankfully accept this near free ride, or to also try and use the (relatively significant) leverage I have with this school to ask for fuller financial support.

I am in the same situation as you and don't know how to ask without sounding greedy. Have you decided how to approach the subject with the office of financial aid?

Bilb0Baggins

Postby Bilb0Baggins » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Check out the school's 509 report here:

On the first page you'll see info about scholarships, including how many students are receiving more than full tuition. Even if that number is zero it's worth asking about, but that number will give you a better idea of the odds. Also make sure to apply broadly and negotiate scholarships elsewhere so you have as much ammunition as possible.

Thank you for this amazing resource! Turns out the school in question offers no above-tuition schollys ... guess I'll just have to be satisfied paying $0 in tuition :)

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Some schools give out housing stipends, however I don't think I've ever seen a school say "You have 20k scholarship to go wherever you want." I think they usually will say "We'll offer you 15k in tuition and a housing stipend worth 5k"

Iwanttolawschool

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:14 am

Interestingly, the school which I received a full-scholarship offer to, has 0 listed at full tuition given. BUT they have 10 people receiving more than full. Should I negotiate into that pool...? As of now, they have offered me full-tuition

UIUC

Kingsbrou

Postby Kingsbrou » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:44 am

huskies2015 wrote:
Bilb0Baggins wrote:I am incredibly thankful to have received a full-tuition scholarship at a school I'd be happy attending....

I am in the same situation as you and don't know how to ask without sounding greedy. Have you decided how to approach the subject with the office of financial aid?

I wouldn't worry about sounding greedy as long as you approach your email reasonably. When negotiating scholarships, it really helped me to remember that every law school is charging tuition at ridiculous rates and that there is no realistic way to sound greedy in comparison. Also, there's really nothing bad that can come from asking for more money. They've already accepted you and offered a scholarship.

Let them know that you really appreciate the generous offer, but that it still might not be financially reasonable for you to matriculate.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 am

Iwanttolawschool wrote:Interestingly, the school which I received a full-scholarship offer to, has 0 listed at full tuition given. BUT they have 10 people receiving more than full. Should I negotiate into that pool...? As of now, they have offered me full-tuition

UIUC

Wondering this as well.

Return to “Financial Aid”