Ask for living stipend at T3 school

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
cheskama

Ask for living stipend at T3 school

Postby cheskama » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:08 pm

McGeorge offered me a fellowship, which includes full tuition and a book award. Would it be inappropriate to ask for a living stipend on top of that? Has anyone had experience asking for living stipends on top of already generous scholarships?

Full tuition is appealing, but I would have to take loans for costs of living and I don't know if it would be worth it, considering McGeorge is ranked quite low and I could attend a higher ranked school with a lower scholarship (Hastings), but live at home and not have to pay rent.

Br3v

Re: Ask for living stipend at T3 school

Postby Br3v » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:15 pm

cheskama wrote:McGeorge offered me a fellowship, which includes full tuition and a book award. Would it be inappropriate to ask for a living stipend on top of that? Has anyone had experience asking for living stipends on top of already generous scholarships?

Full tuition is appealing, but I would have to take loans for costs of living and I don't know if it would be worth it, considering McGeorge is ranked quite low and I could attend a higher ranked school with a lower scholarship (Hastings), but live at home and not have to pay rent.

No harm in asking. I would politely ask something like "Do you have a work-study program where I could earn money for COL" to which they might reply "no, but we will give you money"

Return to “Financial Aid”