Scholarship Negotiations Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
PN-G bamakid

Bronze

Scholarship Negotiations

Post by PN-G bamakid » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

I wanted to start this thread so we could exchange information on the best way to negotiate scholarships.

I've seen a couple tactics that work really well. Friends who have gone through previous cycles often CCed the scholarship committees at various schools on emails thanking a particular school for their offer. I know of one case in particular where a current UT student did this with a UT rep on an email thanking UCLA for a substantial offer. The result was a significant increase in the offer UT had given him.

When I toured UT, the 3L who guided me around told me that the best thing to do is to compile all of your offers into a list and send that list to the schools you're trying to negotiate with in a letter. She said she had experienced a lot of success doing that while applying.

What are y'all's thoughts? Any techniques you can think of are greatly appreciated.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindthegap

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Negotiations

Post by mindthegap » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 am

No way would I ever be ballsy (reckless?) enough to intentionally cc other admissions committees. I personally think it seems kind of rude and if I were on the receiving end of such an email while thousands of dollars are on the line, I'd definitely favor the applicant that took the time to message me individually. Shrugs. Glad it worked for your friends, though.

I'd much, much rather go about it the way that the 3L recommended - seems like a far less likely way to accidentally burn yourself!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 am

Whoever CC'd adcomms is an idiot, regardless of how that turned out.

You just need to wait for your offers to come in, and then show schools the offers you have. It's not very complicated.

Also there's already a thread for this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1625

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:29 pm

I agree with Scotty, and I'll add that in my opinion CC-ing adcomms seems unbelievably douchey.

A far better thing to do in my opinion would be to just call the adcomm of the school you want to negotiate with and politely say, "I just got an offer from school [x] in the maount of [y], and I was wondering if yall could do anything like that/match that"/whatever verbage you want to use.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:37 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”