Attempting to get need-based aid for 2L?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Glasseyes

Attempting to get need-based aid for 2L?

Postby Glasseyes » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Quick question about need-based aid, as I haven't seen this discussed. I'm coming up on 1L finals at the moment, meaning it's almost time to send out the FAFSA for my second year. Do schools award aid to 2L's who previously didn't qualify for aid? The "need" is definitely real this year, but do they even care?

Backstory: I'm a bit older so my parents income hasn't been a factor for at least 15 years. My 2013 income was unnaturally inflated after a death in the family led to a small pension payout, which skewed my taxes for the year as well as any chance at need-based aid. Meanwhile, my previous job came to an end in December 2013, so I've had almost no real income in 2014, and need-based aid is, uh, needed.

Any insight is appreciated.

rinkrat19

Re: Attempting to get need-based aid for 2L?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:55 pm

With a few (usually school-specific) exceptions, there's very little need-based aid in law school outside Harvard/Yale/etc. You'll be able to get full COA in loans, the same as you could before. The differences between 1L and 2L FAFSAs don't matter much (every student who quits a job to go to law school has a huge falloff in income).

Return to “Financial Aid”