Am I required to apply for need based aid 1L to get it 2L Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BillsFan9907

Silver

Am I required to apply for need based aid 1L to get it 2L

Post by BillsFan9907 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 pm

I don't really see much of a need for me to request need based aid for my 1L due to a bequeathment. That won't last till 2L. Can I apply for need based aid for 2L without applying for 1L?

SPerez

Bronze

Re: Am I required to apply for need based aid 1L to get it 2L

Post by SPerez » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Seoulless wrote:I don't really see much of a need for me to request need based aid for my 1L due to a bequeathment. That won't last till 2L. Can I apply for need based aid for 2L without applying for 1L?
If you're just talking about loans, you can borrow those whenever you want for the most part, or not at all. The ones law students qualify for aren't need based, really. I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen someone turned down for an Unsubsidized Stafford or GradPLUS loan because they were too rich. I think it is smart to not borrow your first year if you don't have to because it saves on interest accrued during school. If something happens and your savings turns out to not be enough, you can always request the loans during the semester.

If you're talking about need based aid awarded by your school, most likely scholarships, then you would need to check with the rules with your law school. It wouldn't make sense to not apply for need based scholarships just because you have other funds. It's free money; the more you get, the longer your personal funds will last.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Return to “Financial Aid”