Being waitlisted and financial aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
iloveturtles

New

Being waitlisted and financial aid

Post by iloveturtles » Tue May 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Question regarding financial aid and being waitlisted.

I put my seat deposit at my safety school and they already sent me a financial aid letter detailing the loans. I am however waiting for my three waitlisted schools. At what point do I commit to signing those financial aid forms? Because I don't know what will happen if I sign it and then get off the waitlist somewhere and bounce to the other school.

SFrost

Bronze

Re: Being waitlisted and financial aid

Post by SFrost » Tue May 13, 2014 6:59 pm

iloveturtles wrote:Question regarding financial aid and being waitlisted.

I put my seat deposit at my safety school and they already sent me a financial aid letter detailing the loans. I am however waiting for my three waitlisted schools. At what point do I commit to signing those financial aid forms? Because I don't know what will happen if I sign it and then get off the waitlist somewhere and bounce to the other school.
I believe right up until you matriculate you are allowed under ABA rules to accept an offer from the waitlist.

Even if federal loans are finalized, you can still transfer them to the new school.

The exception to this are binding admission agreements where the application itself is submitted with a binding agreement. ABA schools can't make offers of admission binding, otherwise.

Return to “Financial Aid”