Please give me some advice on my negotiation Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
dibreezy

New

Please give me some advice on my negotiation

Post by dibreezy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Hello,

So here is what you need to know.

Accepted at Catholic about a month ago
- Initially offered 80k Merit Scholly but bumped up to 100k without ever even asking
- Before paying first seat deposit I made a failed attempt to negotiate more money
- Accepted into the PT program, which is what I applied to.

Out of the blue I was taken off of Richmond's waitlist and offered a 60k scholarship. I was initially told I only had until yesterday to decide but was able t convince the woman to give me until monday.

Frankly, my ambition is to be in DC. I have compared the numbers and after account for my scholarship offered. COA at Richmond over 3 years is ~$106k COA at Catholic over 4 years is ~$137k. Per year at Richmond is ~35k and at Catholic ~$34k

Like I said DC is where I want to be and Catholic is my best shot at doing this. We don't need to talk the pros and cons of each university, I am looking solely to use the Richmond offer to get more money out of Catholic. Any recommendations on the best approach? I intend to call Catholic within the hour but thought it would be advantageous to talk about it on TLS first.

Thanks!

blink

Bronze

Re: Please give me some advice on my negotiation

Post by blink » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:35 pm

dibreezy wrote:Hello,

So here is what you need to know.

Accepted at Catholic about a month ago
- Initially offered 80k Merit Scholly but bumped up to 100k without ever even asking
- Before paying first seat deposit I made a failed attempt to negotiate more money
- Accepted into the PT program, which is what I applied to.

Out of the blue I was taken off of Richmond's waitlist and offered a 60k scholarship. I was initially told I only had until yesterday to decide but was able t convince the woman to give me until monday.

Frankly, my ambition is to be in DC. I have compared the numbers and after account for my scholarship offered. COA at Richmond over 3 years is ~$106k COA at Catholic over 4 years is ~$137k. Per year at Richmond is ~35k and at Catholic ~$34k

Like I said DC is where I want to be and Catholic is my best shot at doing this. We don't need to talk the pros and cons of each university, I am looking solely to use the Richmond offer to get more money out of Catholic. Any recommendations on the best approach? I intend to call Catholic within the hour but thought it would be advantageous to talk about it on TLS first.

Thanks!
You're going to get eaten alive on here with this level of naiveté. Do not, under any circumstances, go to Catholic or Richmond. ESPECIALLY if you are taking out debt and are trying to get to DC. You need to retake and reapply. I repeat. DO NOT DO THIS.

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:41 pm

I know what the school is. I know what the circumstances are. I'm doing law school for reasons other than those of the TLS cult. I am only asking for scholarship negotiation advice. Please and thank you.

EDIT:
Not everybody is meant to go to T14 or T1 for that matter. I got my own thing going on.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:43 pm

dibreezy wrote:I know what the school is. I know what the circumstances are. I'm doing law school for reasons other than those of the TLS cult. I am only asking for scholarship negotiation advice. Please and thank you.

EDIT:
Not everybody is meant to go to T14 or T1 for that matter. I got my own thing going on.
Does your own thing involve legal employment? Because if it does these are bad choices even if free.

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:47 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
dibreezy wrote:I know what the school is. I know what the circumstances are. I'm doing law school for reasons other than those of the TLS cult. I am only asking for scholarship negotiation advice. Please and thank you.

EDIT:
Does your own thing involve legal employment? Because if it does these are bad choices even if free.
Again, thank you for your help but totally off topic. To answer your question, no it does not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:48 pm

EDIT:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/catholic/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/richmond/2013/

The "TLS cult" goes to law school to get a job. It's a coin flip at best from these two schools. And idk what you mean by "not everyone was meant to go to T14 or T1." If your own thing isn't a guaranteed job upon graduation, then you're doing this wrong. Even then, you're taking out debt to attend a festering TTT.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Don't go to law school if you don't want to practice law. If you want to be a lobbyist, just be a lobbyist. You don't need a law degree for that. After you get a job, go to law school PT only if your employer tells you to and will pay for it.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

dibreezy wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

EDIT:
Again, thank you for your help but totally off topic. To answer your question, no it does not.
Why do you want to go to law school?

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:56 pm

What more can you do besides tell them that the Richmond offer saves you $30k?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Don't go to law school if you don't want to practice law. If you want to be a lobbyist, just be a lobbyist. You don't need a law degree for that. After you get a job, go to law school PT only if your employer tells you to and will pay for it.
While I appreciate the thought. The advice given to me by actual lobbyist is to do exactly this. Of course I know you don't need a law degree to be a lobbyist.

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:00 pm

InTheHouse wrote:What more can you do besides tell them that the Richmond offer saves you $30k?
I don't think there is much. I thought it would be best to ask first.

EDIT:
sorry for the double post.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 pm

dibreezy wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:Don't go to law school if you don't want to practice law. If you want to be a lobbyist, just be a lobbyist. You don't need a law degree for that. After you get a job, go to law school PT only if your employer tells you to and will pay for it.
While I appreciate the thought. The advice given to me by actual lobbyist is to do exactly this. Of course I know you don't need a law degree to be a lobbyist.
Unless it is accompanied by a real job offer, I find it hard to believe that this person's advice is worth the cost of either of these schools (even with scholarships), plus four years of PT schooling. If it's actually important to your future employer, that employer will pay you to get a J.D. PT.

If you can't get work as a lobbyist now, go (back) to the Hill; there's always plenty of turnover, and if you've already worked there, your foot is in the door. That will be way more valuable than a J.D. from either of these TTTs.

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:10 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
dibreezy wrote:
Unless it is accompanied by a real job offer, I find it hard to believe that this person's advice is worth the cost of either of these schools (even with scholarships), plus four years of PT schooling. If it's actually important to your future employer, that employer will pay you to get a J.D. PT.

If you can't get work as a lobbyist now, go (back) to the Hill; there's always plenty of turnover, and if you've already worked there, your foot is in the door. That will be way more valuable than a J.D. from either of these TTTs.
I totally agree. What did you think I would be doing outside of law school? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 pm

:|

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:15 pm

General negotiation advice seems to apply here:

1) be polite and professional (professionalism is where you can stand out from the crowd)
2) demonstrate your sincere interest (they don't want to offer $ to someone who won't come)
3) politely explain why their current offer is insufficient to secure your attendance (you may want to mention your best alternative here)
4) affirm that you are worth what you're asking for (cite your lsat, gpa, work experience, whatever got you in)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Retake

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”