Negotiating with HLS using YLS offer Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
armysgt

New

Negotiating with HLS using YLS offer

Post by armysgt » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:49 am

YLS offered me around $7K more in grants than HLS... researching around this forum tells me the two schools calculate assets differently (YLS doesn't count retirement accounts/home equity, whereas HLS does).

Is it worth negotiating with HLS based on the YLS offer? (I haven't decided on where to attend yet, but I want all my options on the table before deciding)

malleus discentium

Silver

Re: Negotiating with HLS using YLS offer

Post by malleus discentium » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:02 pm

armysgt wrote:YLS offered me around $7K more in grants than HLS... researching around this forum tells me the two schools calculate assets differently (YLS doesn't count retirement accounts/home equity, whereas HLS does).

Is it worth negotiating with HLS based on the YLS offer? (I haven't decided on where to attend yet, but I want all my options on the table before deciding)
HLS doesn't count retirement accounts (you have to tell them about them, though). But sure, why not. HLS does reconsider if S or Y give you a different number. It's probably only worth your time, though, if you've decided on H, and 7K shouldn't matter in the H/Y calculus.

ETA: HLS doesn't count parent retirement accounts, rather, but they do for half of yours.

Return to “Financial Aid”