UPenn: Does interest in PI law hurt chances of Levy?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
DebtAverse

UPenn: Does interest in PI law hurt chances of Levy?

Postby DebtAverse » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:57 pm

For background, I am taking the LSAT in June and planning to apply to schools in the fall. I am considering UPenn and, based on my LSAT practice scores, I should have good numbers for the school (4.0, ~170). I also have a strong interest in public interest law and will likely take a job in that field after graduation. With that in mind, I have a few questions about the scholarships available at UPenn:

1. I assume scholarships are not entirely numbers-based, but do my current stats give me any chances of a Levy?

2. I know UPenn has a Toll scholarship program for students exhibiting a strong interest in PI law. I am wondering whether indicating such an interest on one's application would lead the school to offer the Toll scholarship rather than the Levy. Does anyone have experience with indicating PI interest and still being invited to apply for the Levy?

Thank you in advance!

dobryden

Re: UPenn: Does interest in PI law hurt chances of Levy?

Postby dobryden » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:49 pm

I can't speak to your first question about your stats (but they seem wonderful - congratulations!). However, I have a strong PI interest, indicated it on my application, and was invited for Toll. If you truly are interested in PI, however, Toll does seem like a good deal and fairly close to the Levy. It also might give you better support for your specific career interests.

Morgan2012

Re: UPenn: Does interest in PI law hurt chances of Levy?

Postby Morgan2012 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:36 am

DebtAverse wrote:For background, I am taking the LSAT in June and planning to apply to schools in the fall. I am considering UPenn and, based on my LSAT practice scores, I should have good numbers for the school (4.0, ~170). I also have a strong interest in public interest law and will likely take a job in that field after graduation. With that in mind, I have a few questions about the scholarships available at UPenn:

1. I assume scholarships are not entirely numbers-based, but do my current stats give me any chances of a Levy?

2. I know UPenn has a Toll scholarship program for students exhibiting a strong interest in PI law. I am wondering whether indicating such an interest on one's application would lead the school to offer the Toll scholarship rather than the Levy. Does anyone have experience with indicating PI interest and still being invited to apply for the Levy?

Thank you in advance!

1) Your numbers are currently imaginary. Come back when they exist

2) You haven't even gotten into the school (haven't even applied!!) and you're already worried about which prestigious scholarship they're going to give you.

I was invited to apply for Levy with a 3.9ish GPA and a low-mid 170's LSAT. My application did not indicate any interest in PI because frankly i have none, but my work experience pre law school has all been in PI fields, which has led some schools to think I'm interested in PI.

Return to “Financial Aid”