Mitigating LS costs

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Mitigating LS costs

Postby whereskyle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

Anybody take a part time job while in law school? How do you think it went?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Mitigating LS costs

Postby legends159 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:03 pm

don't work 1L year; but typically RA/TA positions are pretty lucrative - especially if you can do it for UG classes (LS classes still pay pretty well and have added benefit of good LOR writer and relationship building for post grad).

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Mitigating LS costs

Postby whereskyle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

legends159 wrote:don't work 1L year; but typically RA/TA positions are pretty lucrative - especially if you can do it for UG classes (LS classes still pay pretty well and have added benefit of good LOR writer and relationship building for post grad).


Thanks. What is the route to TA/RA? Are positions readily available? Also, I'd still love to hear from anyone who worked while in LS! Thanks all.

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Mitigating LS costs

Postby sd5289 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:42 pm

whereskyle wrote:
legends159 wrote:don't work 1L year; but typically RA/TA positions are pretty lucrative - especially if you can do it for UG classes (LS classes still pay pretty well and have added benefit of good LOR writer and relationship building for post grad).


Thanks. What is the route to TA/RA? Are positions readily available? Also, I'd still love to hear from anyone who worked while in LS! Thanks all.


I'm working in law school (though didn't during 1L). I do part time consulting for my old company, and I was just hired as an RA. I didn't apply for the RA position; my 1L Crim prof recommended me to this prof who just emailed me out of the blue. I also believe that schools will post open TA/RA positions, and I know people who have reached out to a prof who's teaching a class they did really well in (e.g. an A, maybe an A-) and asked if they wanted a TA for the upcoming semester.

Are there days/weeks where it gets really crazy time wise? Yeah. Like this week for me. *opens beer* But I'd rather pay the time/energy investment now than get screwed over by loan interest rates later. And the extra money certainly doesn't hurt.

daleearnhardt123
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Mitigating LS costs

Postby daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Working as a 1L would be crazy. Working as a 2L/3L is plausible. As the previous responder indicated, working as a RA is the most sensible. You get to build a relationship with a professor, you get paid, and you get to manage your own hours. But don't expect to make much. At best you're looking at probably 4-5k throughout the year.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Mitigating LS costs

Postby whereskyle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Working as a 1L would be crazy. Working as a 2L/3L is plausible. As the previous responder indicated, working as a RA is the most sensible. You get to build a relationship with a professor, you get paid, and you get to manage your own hours. But don't expect to make much. At best you're looking at probably 4-5k throughout the year.


4-5k would be great. I think it's just a sense of anxiety/responsibility. I've never had debt, and the idea of letting it accrue for 3 years without working against it keeps me up at night. Thanks, you all.

User avatar
sd5289
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Mitigating LS costs

Postby sd5289 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:51 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Working as a 1L would be crazy. Working as a 2L/3L is plausible. As the previous responder indicated, working as a RA is the most sensible. You get to build a relationship with a professor, you get paid, and you get to manage your own hours. But don't expect to make much. At best you're looking at probably 4-5k throughout the year.


Yeah I'm in the RA > TA camp. Some profs make TA's show up for their classes whereas RA's can generally make their own hours and most profs are super understanding about scheduling and work load. I was up front with my prof that I would be going to an out-of-state moot competition the third week of February, so I wouldn't have as much time to dedicate to the research until I got back, and she said that was perfectly fine. That said, my weekend is going to be spent researching/reading since I have the time and an empty house since my fiancee will be out of town.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests