Non-Custodial Parent isn't in the picture

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
slayer47

Non-Custodial Parent isn't in the picture

Postby slayer47 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 pm

So I've emailed a few schools that request information from both my parents, and I've been told to just explain that my absentee father hasn't contributed anything to my undergrad nor will he for law school (i haven't even told him i'm applying). He is not involved in my life and I talk to him maybe twice a year. It's really important to me not to have him involved, and I have legitimate evidence that he isn't in my life...do you think that the schools will really take that in to consideration? If they do, I actually might qualify for a bit of need-based aid because my mom and I are both below the poverty line. Thoughts?

crg0097

Re: Non-Custodial Parent isn't in the picture

Postby crg0097 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:02 pm

slayer47 wrote:So I've emailed a few schools that request information from both my parents, and I've been told to just explain that my absentee father hasn't contributed anything to my undergrad nor will he for law school (i haven't even told him i'm applying). He is not involved in my life and I talk to him maybe twice a year. It's really important to me not to have him involved, and I have legitimate evidence that he isn't in my life...do you think that the schools will really take that in to consideration? If they do, I actually might qualify for a bit of need-based aid because my mom and I are both below the poverty line. Thoughts?

There is always a way to petition a special circumstance. Contact your school and explain the situation. Typically it's better to say that you have no contact with your father.

Return to “Financial Aid”