Changing schools after filing FAFSA?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mx23250

Changing schools after filing FAFSA?

Postby mx23250 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm sure this has been answered on here, but my initial quick search didn't find it.

So I've noticed that preferred FAFSA deadlines are in Feb or March, but for a lot of us, we may change schools in March/April/May or later after finally hearing from schools or getting off wait lists. So if you file a FAFSA for one school then decide a couple months later to go to a different school instead, does it transfer at all? Do you get the "priority" of your earlier filing? Or do you have to fill out a FAFSA for the other school at that point and then miss out on the preferred deadline? I've never dealt with financial aid before (had scholarships and worked to pay as I went along in the past). I appreciate any input! Thanks!

Cal Trask

Re: Changing schools after filing FAFSA?

Postby Cal Trask » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 pm

mx23250 wrote:I'm sure this has been answered on here, but my initial quick search didn't find it.

So I've noticed that preferred FAFSA deadlines are in Feb or March, but for a lot of us, we may change schools in March/April/May or later after finally hearing from schools or getting off wait lists. So if you file a FAFSA for one school then decide a couple months later to go to a different school instead, does it transfer at all? Do you get the "priority" of your earlier filing? Or do you have to fill out a FAFSA for the other school at that point and then miss out on the preferred deadline? I've never dealt with financial aid before (had scholarships and worked to pay as I went along in the past). I appreciate any input! Thanks!

Why not just have your FAFSA sent to every school you may possibly go to? It allows you to submit to up to 10 schools.

mx23250

Postby mx23250 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Cal Trask wrote:
mx23250 wrote:I'm sure this has been answered on here, but my initial quick search didn't find it.

Why not just have your FAFSA sent to every school you may possibly go to? It allows you to submit to up to 10 schools.

I did not know that. Thank you!

Cal Trask

Postby Cal Trask » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:07 pm

mx23250 wrote:
Cal Trask wrote:

I did not know that. Thank you!

Not a problem. :)

anna8506

Postby anna8506 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Ya, you can select up to 10 schools that you are still potentially interested to attend.

I am having a hard time picking out 10 out of 17 applications, especially with 10 still pending. Any ideas?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:41 pm

anna8506 wrote:Ya, you can select up to 10 schools that you are still potentially interested to attend.

I am having a hard time picking out 10 out of 17 applications, especially with 10 still pending. Any ideas?

Submit with 10, change your list and resubmit. Pretty sure it will go to all of them.

anna8506

Postby anna8506 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
anna8506 wrote:Ya, you can select up to 10 schools that you are still potentially interested to attend.

Submit with 10, change your list and resubmit. Pretty sure it will go to all of them.

Great! Thanks for your help!

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 pm

anna8506 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Great! Thanks for your help!

Just wait for the SAR confirmation, first. Then change and resubmit.

Return to “Financial Aid”