Non custodial parent income

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
gurlja18

Non custodial parent income

Postby gurlja18 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:24 pm

How much does it affect need based aid? My custodial parent makes very little but I'm not sure how much my non custodial makes. Even though he does not plan on making any financial contributions towards school, will I affect $$ if he makes more than my other parent?
Last edited by gurlja18 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Re: Non custodial parent income

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 pm

gurlja18 wrote:How much does it affect need based aid? My custodial parent makes very little but I'm not sure how much my non custodial makes. Even though he does not plan on making any financial contributions towards school, will I affect $$ if he makes more than my other parent?

yes

famousblueraincoat

Postby famousblueraincoat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:14 pm

patogordo wrote:
gurlja18 wrote:How much does it affect need based aid? My custodial parent makes very little but I'm not sure how much my non custodial makes. Even though he does not plan on making any financial contributions towards school, will I affect $$ if he makes more than my other parent?

yes

I actually emailed CLS about this a while ago. Finaid told me that, just as stated on their website, all students are held to the same requirements re: providing proof of parental income in order to be considered for need and merit-based aid. If you intend to apply for any sort of aid or think you have a shot at a scholarship, at least at CLS but probably many other T14s as well, you should find a way to get your non-custodial parent's info submitted. The Need Access form will allow your non-custodial parent to create an account and fill everything out online. They may elect to not share that financial info with you directly if memory serves.

There are probably waivers available as with the undergrad CSS. Though you'd have to be truly estranged from the parent, they'd have to be in incarcerated, etc. And being dishonest about that relationship to get rid of the burden would be particularly dangerous given C&F.

Luckily you'd still be eligible for government loans that would cover up to the full cost of attendance, including any portion that your school expects your parents to pay.

**0L Disclaimer**

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:42 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:
patogordo wrote:

yes

I actually emailed CLS about this a while ago. Finaid told me that, just as stated on their website, all students are held to the same requirements re: providing proof of parental income in order to be considered for need and merit-based aid. If you intend to apply for any sort of aid or think you have a shot at a scholarship, at least at CLS but probably many other T14s as well, you should find a way to get your non-custodial parent's info submitted. The Need Access form will allow your non-custodial parent to create an account and fill everything out online. They may elect to not share that financial info with you directly if memory serves.

There are probably waivers available as with the undergrad CSS. Though you'd have to be truly estranged from the parent, they'd have to be in incarcerated, etc. And being dishonest about that relationship to get rid of the burden would be particularly dangerous given C&F.

Luckily you'd still be eligible for government loans that would cover up to the full cost of attendance, including any portion that your school expects your parents to pay.

**0L Disclaimer**

CLS was very, very strict on this. Most schools would accept a statement explaining the situation (I had not had contact with one parent for almost 18 years when I applied). I called each school that used the Need Access form and every single one of them was understanding, other than CLS.

If you have contact with the parent, even if they aren't your custodial parent, I don't think you can avoid providing the information. The point is not that they will be paying (most parents don't pay for child's grad school), but that someone without a parent with the ability to help financially in a time of need in the future probably needs financial aid more than one who has parents in a position to bail them out.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:54 pm

I think it's absurd that they consider your parents' income in the first place, as most students foot the bill themselves. I'm over 8 years out of undergrad, what do my parents' incomes have to do with my ability to pay for law school? I'm not getting any help there...

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:38 pm

kartelite wrote:I think it's absurd that they consider your parents' income in the first place, as most students foot the bill themselves. I'm over 8 years out of undergrad, what do my parents' incomes have to do with my ability to pay for law school? I'm not getting any help there...

they're not attempting to measure actual parental assistance. the financial aid websites usually make this quite clear.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm

How do they even know you have a non custodial parent? If your parents are divorced and remarried, couldn't one parent fill out the form for his/herself and the other step parent? How would they know?

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 pm

kartelite wrote:I think it's absurd that they consider your parents' income in the first place, as most students foot the bill themselves. I'm over 8 years out of undergrad, what do my parents' incomes have to do with my ability to pay for law school? I'm not getting any help there...

Are there no criteria at all (age, marital status, etc) that cause the schools to skip the questions about your parents' income? At my age, I'd laugh my ass off (and politely decline to answer) if anyone started asking about my parents' financial situation.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:35 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:

Are there no criteria at all (age, marital status, etc) that cause the schools to skip the questions about your parents' income? At my age, I'd laugh my ass off (and politely decline to answer) if anyone started asking about my parents' financial situation.

all grad students are independent for FAFSA purposes so you technically don't have to provide any parental info for federal aid. some schools ask you for parental info as part of their own process for giving grant money so the rules will vary from school to school.

Return to “Financial Aid”