When do I hear about merit scholarships?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

When do I hear about merit scholarships?

Postby ham » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 pm

I have so far been accepted to four of the schools that I applied to - NYU, Duke, Georgetown, and UVA - and I am waiting to hear from several other of the t14. It doesn't seem that any of them offered me money upfront. When would they offer me merit scholarships, if they were going to do so? Several of them have asked me to fill out financial aid information; is that totally separate from their potential merit award? (Georgetown also invited me to apply for some other large scholarship). Thanks.

Re: When do I hear about merit scholarships?

Postby milkandcheerios » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:58 am

I would like to know this as well.

I'm in a similar situation as OP and it seems like I need to submit need access before I can be considered for merit scholarships but taxes haven't been filed yet. Do i just submit with estimates?

Also I really doubt I will get any need based aid given my parents income and the fact that I'm still an dependent, do I really need to fill out all those financial aid forms if i'm only really interested in merit aid?

Postby nomdeplumeify » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Can't really help you guys but according to Fafsa you'll be independent because you're in graduate school, so no need to worry about how much your parents made [unless you chose to release that information, but you don't have to]

Postby yadiermolina » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 pm

How much does having an offer from one school affect this? I got 30k/year from Mich, and am in at Duke, UVA, CLS, and NYU (CLS and UVA in the past week). Should I wait a month or so to hear about possible offers first (again, when might that be?) or approach them now? Are C and N going to look at $$ from Mich and laugh?

Not trying to pay sticker :shock:

Return to “Financial Aid”