East-coaster wanting to go West. Room for negotiations?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tmkm

East-coaster wanting to go West. Room for negotiations?

Postby tmkm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:03 am

I was born and raised all 26 years of my life in the NY/NJ area. I've wanted to go to California since undergrad and I finally seem to have the chance to go...

Just got the call from UCLA today and was lucky enough to get a pretty solid merit scholarship for 35K/yr, or 105K total for all three years.
I've been doing some research on LSN for the past year or so and have seen people with similar numbers to be receiving anywhere between 90K and 120K.

I was wondering how much room there is for me to negotiate from 105K to 120K if I can leverage an acceptance into another T14 school. I haven't heard back from the other schools yet, but wanted to temper my expectations and anticipate my next move...

I really have a strong preference for UCLA, but I want to minimize the amount of money that I will be paying to attend school there...I will be married by the time I start school so money is already very tight. I want to minimize debt as much as possible...

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

patogordo

Re: East-coaster wanting to go West. Room for negotiations?

Postby patogordo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 am

tmkm wrote:I was born and raised all 26 years of my life in the NY/NJ area. I've wanted to go to California since undergrad and I finally seem to have the chance to go...

Just got the call from UCLA today and was lucky enough to get a pretty solid merit scholarship for 35K/yr, or 105K total for all three years.
I've been doing some research on LSN for the past year or so and have seen people with numbers similar to be receiving around anywhere between 90K and 120K.

I was wondering how much room there is for me to negotiate from 105K to 120K if I can leverage an acceptance into another T14 school. I haven't heard back from the other schools yet, but wanted to temper my expectations and anticipate my next move...

I really have a strong preference for UCLA, but I want to minimize the amount of money that I will be paying to attend school there...I will be married by the time I start school so money is already very tight. I want to minimize debt as much as possible...

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Why not try and see what happens?

tmkm

Re: East-coaster wanting to go West. Room for negotiations?

Postby tmkm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:13 am

Right; I most definitely will try. I was just wondering how one would go about doing this...is there proper etiquette?

I would assume an acceptance into another school and showing the scholarship/acceptance letter would be the strongest bargaining chip...but are certain things outside of consideration and not recommended to be brought up during negotiations?

I.e. Having been just married
I.e. Potential pregnancy and need to care for a young family

-- I bring up these two points because if I was living on the east coast and attending school here (where both my and my fiancee's families live), my fiancee and I would have certain cost efficient alternatives like living in the interim at parent's house, having parents take care of child and thus offset babysitting costs.

Etc?

Return to “Financial Aid”