FAFSA--Parents refuse to give me their information? HELP

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Progress01

FAFSA--Parents refuse to give me their information? HELP

Postby Progress01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:32 am

So, I've been working through my fafsa on my own, and am confused and not sure where to get advice from. I thought I'd have to have my parents information, but it says based on my information, I don't? I live with them, I'm graduating undergrad in a couple months, so I'm obviously the classic example of a "dependent". But the fafsa says I'm "not classified as a dependent"?

Also, my dad refuses to give me the tax info for the parental section of the fafsa. Won't do it. He literally won't have my parents taxes done for another two or three months (and then, as usual, will file an extension because he's the laziest person I know). When I ask him, and tell him why I need it, he goes on a tangent about how he's "doing me a favor, because I don't need to go into debt and debt is bad and blah blah blah".

So...Advice? I'm not going to come this far and then NOT be able to go to law school simply because I can't get financial aid/loans.

Also, do I HAVE to put my parents info on there? Is it absolutely necessary? Will it hurt me if I don't? Dad makes GREAT money. On paper, he looks great. It's how he manages it (or lack there of) and the large amount of younger siblings I have that bars him from being able to help me pretty much as all in law school.

ALSO..I haven't done my taxes yet? I need advice people!

ltrego

Re: FAFSA--Parents refuse to give me their information? HELP

Postby ltrego » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:54 am

Progress01 wrote:So, I've been working through my fafsa on my own, and am confused and not sure where to get advice from. I thought I'd have to have my parents information, but it says based on my information, I don't? I live with them, I'm graduating undergrad in a couple months, so I'm obviously the classic example of a "dependent". But the fafsa says I'm "not classified as a dependent"?

Also, my dad refuses to give me the tax info for the parental section of the fafsa. Won't do it. He literally won't have my parents taxes done for another two or three months (and then, as usual, will file an extension because he's the laziest person I know). When I ask him, and tell him why I need it, he goes on a tangent about how he's "doing me a favor, because I don't need to go into debt and debt is bad and blah blah blah".

So...Advice? I'm not going to come this far and then NOT be able to go to law school simply because I can't get financial aid/loans.

Also, do I HAVE to put my parents info on there? Is it absolutely necessary? Will it hurt me if I don't? Dad makes GREAT money. On paper, he looks great. It's how he manages it (or lack there of) and the large amount of younger siblings I have that bars him from being able to help me pretty much as all in law school.

ALSO..I haven't done my taxes yet? I need advice people!

To what schools are you applying? That will answer whether you need to figure out how to get your dad's info. Some schools won't require your parents' information.

At the schools that require parent information, I'm pretty sure they only require it for need-based aid. In other words, I'm 90% sure that you will still be able to get loans without your parents' information.

The government considers you "independent" for FAFSA purposes as soon as you have graduated with your first bachelor's degree. It's telling you that you are "independent" because you are, as you said, "graduating from undergrad in a couple of months."

You can do your FAFSA now, before you do your taxes, and estimate the amounts based on your paystubs. Go ahead and submit it. Then, do your taxes as soon as you get your W2s and 1098-T forms. Once you've done your taxes, go in and update your FAFSA. This will allow the ball to get rolling on your financial aid.

Edited for correct form #.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:39 pm

That sucks about your dad. I'd probably call FAFSA, if only to be safe.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:05 am

This is also going to be an issue for you when it comes time for Need Access (or whatever is comparable, if your school doesn't use it). Based on your age and what exactly "GREAT" money is, you might not have much outside of loans/merit anyways.

I feel your pain though, dealing with a somewhat similar situation myself (though not quite as bad).

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:12 am

You don't have to put your parents info for FAFSA for graduate school. EVen if you put there it, it doesn't change anything.

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:You don't have to put your parents info for FAFSA for graduate school. EVen if you put there it, it doesn't change anything.

Depends on the school. Some schools require parent info.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:49 am

So nobody outside of HYS actually gives need aid, right? Any insight into what this means:

Need-based aid at the University of Virginia School of Law consists primarily of student loans.

There are no more subsidized federal loans for graduate school, so what are they talking about?

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:06 am

swampman wrote:So nobody outside of HYS actually gives need aid, right? Any insight into what this means:

Need-based aid at the University of Virginia School of Law consists primarily of student loans.

There are no more subsidized federal loans for graduate school, so what are they talking about?

I don't know what that means, but I know there are a couple of schools outside of HYS that give need aid. BU is one I can think of off-hand.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:40 pm

swampman wrote:So nobody outside of HYS actually gives need aid, right? Any insight into what this means:

They consider any federal student loans as "need aid."

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

They consider any federal student loans as "need aid."

That's silly, given that nearly every student qualifies.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm not sure about the rest of that, but CC and to some degree N definitely give need-based aid. PM if you'd like numbers, but there's absolutely no way I got half-tuition at both CC with my GPA/LSAT. Close to 25th percentile GPA at both schools.

Return to “Financial Aid”