Negotiating Stips?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Negotiating Stips?

Postby Rise'n'shout » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:43 pm

So, is this a thing? Statistically, I'm likely to receive scholly from my probably-first-choice school, but they attach stips to their schollys (after 1L, top third of class keeps all of their scholly, middle third gets cut to half, bottom third loses everything.) I'm wondering about the possibility of bringing non-stip money to the table and trying to negotiate not for more money, but for stip-free money. Anyone heard of this happening?

Re: Negotiating Stips?

Postby apartius » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Depends on the school. What are your numbers? A higher ranked school might less likely to work with you i.e. Stanford will probably not match or negotiate *much*. They will probably try to meet with you somewhere. A friend of mine got into Stanford but had an NYU full-ride and did not get very far in negotiations she did get some extra $$. Another consideration is the schools have to probably be similar in #'s as well.

Postby Rise'n'shout » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm at a 3.85/174, and the school I want to negotiate with is BYU, so I'm very competitive there, I just don't know if this is something that is ever done, you know?

Postby Jwood » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 pm

Last edited by Jwood on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cali05 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:24 am

Exactly what they just said...

If someone with those numbers has BYU as their top choice...well...It is clear that you plan on practicing in Utah or have mad love for that school. If I were you, I would shoot apps to HSY ( I know H&Y are Northeast, but it's worth it to even just know you were accepted IMO lol), def Berkeley and Stanford, and UCLA for safety and more leverage possibly. You may still choose BYU in the end, but what happens if the other highly regarded schools offer better stips or scholarships. It can only help you!

Best of luck! :D

Return to “Financial Aid”