Asking for a scholarship with these numbers..? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
1L2014U

New

Asking for a scholarship with these numbers..?

Post by 1L2014U » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am

My LSAT Score is 156 and my LSDAS GPA is 2.1

I've received a few offers of admission from T3s with no scholarship offers as of now. My LORs and Personal Statement probably gave me the nudge to get into a few of these T3s (I'm still amazed that I got in despite my low numbers). I really want to go to some of these T3s (but I'm afraid they'll withdraw their offer if I ask for scholarships..

I'm not sure if I'm jumping the gun a bit early but what would you guys recommend..?

Nooblarzlarz

Bronze

Re: Asking for a scholarship with these numbers..?

Post by Nooblarzlarz » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:38 pm

1L2014U wrote:My LSAT Score is 156 and my LSDAS GPA is 2.1

I've received a few offers of admission from T3s with no scholarship offers as of now. My LORs and Personal Statement probably gave me the nudge to get into a few of these T3s (I'm still amazed that I got in despite my low numbers). I really want to go to some of these T3s (but I'm afraid they'll withdraw their offer if I ask for scholarships..

I'm not sure if I'm jumping the gun a bit early but what would you guys recommend..?
Don't go to a T3 at sticker price. Don't go to a T3 unless you know that that is the region you want to work in. Do not take scholarships with grade stipulations. They won't rescind their offer just because you ask for money (assuming you ask them politely). If you don't like the schools/scholarship options you have, retake the LSAT.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 pm

With those numbers I really hope you're from, and want to end up in, Wyoming, the Dakotas, or the like

1L2014U

New

Post by 1L2014U » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:19 pm

guano wrote:With those numbers I really hope you're from, and want to end up in, Wyoming, the Dakotas, or the like
I know the numbers are low but I've been getting good feedback from schools, got offered admission to SUNY but it's too expensive being out-of-state and the price of living in NY is just too much.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:45 pm

1L2014U wrote:
guano wrote:With those numbers I really hope you're from, and want to end up in, Wyoming, the Dakotas, or the like
I know the numbers are low but I've been getting good feedback from schools, got offered admission to SUNY but it's too expensive being out-of-state and the price of living in NY is just too much.
SUNY or CUNY? (There's a difference)
But, with those numbers states like New York, Massachussets and Califirnua shouldn't be on your radar

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hanynicola12

New

Post by hanynicola12 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:20 pm

I live in California, and with a much lower LSAT score but a 3.4 GPA I've been offered admission by three T3 schools (Whittier, Western State, and California Western) with a few thousand dollars scholarships from each. California Western actually offered me over $ 15,000.
Last edited by hanynicola12 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:27 pm

Don't attend a TTT.

And there are no circumstances under which you should refrain from asking your school for money, if they've provided none, or more money, if they haven't covered most or all of your tuition.

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 am

justonemoregame wrote:Don't attend a TTT.

And there are no circumstances under which you should refrain from asking your school for money, if they've provided none, or more money, if they haven't covered most or all of your tuition.
When should one ask for money? Is it better to wait until March? Or can I just ask now? I was admitted to my number one school with no money (FSU) and was offered $20,000 per year at Miami and $20,000 per year at Stetson. (Miami is closer to FSU's ranking.) Obviously I need to mention these amounts, but how do I do this without seeming rude?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:23 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:

When should one ask for money? Is it better to wait until March? Or can I just ask now? I was admitted to my number one school with no money (FSU) and was offered $20,000 per year at Miami and $20,000 per year at Stetson. (Miami is closer to FSU's ranking.) Obviously I need to mention these amounts, but how do I do this without seeming rude?
I really want to attend FSU. However, while FSU is my first choice, I am concerned about the cost, and both Miami and Stetson have offered me $20,000. Is there any way you could match that offer?

Edit: it's better to try this:
Thank you for accepting me to FSU. It is my first choice and I would love to attend, but I am concerned by the costs, particularly in light of generous scholarships I have received to other schools. Is there anything you could do to help?

By not mentioning how much you got elsewhere it's possible they will offer more than $20k, whereas if you mention it, you've provided a cap. It's up to you whether or not to mention the schools. I didn't because the big scholly was from a lower ranked school and my scores were above the 76%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:40 pm

guano wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:

I really want to attend FSU. However, while FSU is my first choice, I am concerned about the cost, and both Miami and Stetson have offered me $20,000. Is there any way you could match that offer?

Edit: it's better to try this:
Thank you for accepting me to FSU. It is my first choice and I would love to attend, but I am concerned by the costs, particularly in light of generous scholarships I have received to other schools. Is there anything you could do to help?

By not mentioning how much you got elsewhere it's possible they will offer more than $20k, whereas if you mention it, you've provided a cap. It's up to you whether or not to mention the schools. I didn't because the big scholly was from a lower ranked school and my scores were above the 76%
Thanks! Is there a specific time I should make the ask? Is now too early in the cycle?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm

^ I waited was accepted early January and sent an email not unlike what I said above toward the end of January or early February

But, I had heard (from the school) that it could take two weeks to get scholly info, so I waited longer than I would have otherwise

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:57 pm

guano wrote:
Damn. That's 180. I'm going to use that as soon as I get other offers. Thanks!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 pm

hanynicola12 wrote:I live in California, and with a much lower LSAT score but a 3.4 GPA I've been offered admission by three T3 schools (Whittier, Western State, and California Western) with a few thousand dollars scholarships from each. California Western actually offered me over $ 15,000.
you need retake the lsat in june

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 pm

I call flame. There's no way that someone who knows about scholarship negotiations does not know that attending a TTT in a saturated market city with those stats is a bad idea.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
guano wrote:
Damn. That's 180. I'm going to use that as soon as I get other offers. Thanks!
Remember that if their offer is lower than the schollies you have elsewhere you can
Then go back and say that it's very nice and you're honored, but peer school X has offered $Y, and is there any chance they would be willing to close the gap

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:02 pm

1L2014U wrote:I really want to go to some of these T3s (but I'm afraid they'll withdraw their offer if I ask for scholarships..
they wont

Optimist Prime

Bronze

Post by Optimist Prime » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:52 pm

-
Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

SailorMoon9543

Bronze

Post by SailorMoon9543 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
Nova wrote:
1L2014U wrote:I really want to go to some of these T3s (but I'm afraid they'll withdraw their offer if I ask for scholarships..
they wont
This. As a potential full paying student you could sext them and they wouldn't take away your offer.
LOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”