Full Scholarship and Financial Aid

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BlameCanada

Full Scholarship and Financial Aid

Postby BlameCanada » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:54 am

I am aware that applying ED to Northwestern, if accepted, you can get a full scholarship (seems hard to believe so if anyone can confirm that would be lovely). Does anyone know of any other schools that have a similar policy for full scholarships?

Another question on a different topic. I know when applying for undergraduate schools you report parents income for financial aid consideration. When applying to law school and asking for financial aid (as opposed to merit aid) is it your parents income or your income to determine if you get aid? My parents paid for my undergraduate (they are not planning to chip in for law school) and if I listed their income I would not qualify for financial aid; however, I plan to apply to law school right out of undergrad so I will have no job/income. When I request financial aid do i state my own financial situation or my parents?

Sorry I am clueless I am just new to the law school thing. Also my questions for the most part are aimed at top 14 schools

Gooner91

Re: Full Scholarship and Financial Aid

Postby Gooner91 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:07 am

BlameCanada wrote:I am aware that applying ED to Northwestern, if accepted, you can get a full scholarship (seems hard to believe so if anyone can confirm that would be lovely). Does anyone know of any other schools that have a similar policy for full scholarships?

Another question on a different topic. I know when applying for undergraduate schools you report parents income for financial aid consideration. When applying to law school and asking for financial aid (as opposed to merit aid) is it your parents income or your income to determine if you get aid? My parents paid for my undergraduate (they are not planning to chip in for law school) and if I listed their income I would not qualify for financial aid; however, I plan to apply to law school right out of undergrad so I will have no job/income. When I request financial aid do i state my own financial situation or my parents?

Sorry I am clueless I am just new to the law school thing. Also my questions for the most part are aimed at top 14 schools

I think if you are under 27 you report parent income for FAFSA. Could be wrong though.

DKM

Postby DKM » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 am

Gooner91 wrote:
BlameCanada wrote:I am aware that applying ED to Northwestern, if accepted, you can get a full scholarship (seems hard to believe so if anyone can confirm that would be lovely). Does anyone know of any other schools that have a similar policy for full scholarships?

I think if you are under 27 you report parent income for FAFSA. Could be wrong though.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 am

1. Northwestern does have this full scholarship policy for ED applicants, and no other schools I know of have this policy. There are several other full scholarships you can research on: Hamilton (full) and Butler (half) at Columbia (I think they have a LSAT floor and are mainly used to lure away YHS prospectives), Rubenstein at Chicago, and many named scholarships in NYU.

2. I think you need to state both your and your parents' income and asset, since you will apply once you finish undergraduate and likely below the age of 24. They will calculate an expected family contribution, but it is not EXPECTED (in the strict sense) that your parents will pay for the FC part. You can always take out loans to cover the expected (looser sense) family contribution.

NapoleonXV

Postby NapoleonXV » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:49 am

In case you have not seen this

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=144338

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:02 pm

GW and BU also offer full rides to ED admits.

You may have to put your parents' income and assets in, but it doesn't really matter. Most aid is merit-based rather than need-based. Unless you have terrible credit you'll be able to take loans to cover whatever it is you and your family cannot.

BlameCanada

Postby BlameCanada » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Thank you everyone for all the information. Anyone have a rough estimate of what it would take to get accepted to Northwestern ED? Would hypothetically 174 with a 3.8 do it? Does it need to be higher? Would lower do? Same question for BU? Also if I get in ED to school X and also to a better school Y (not ED) is there anyway to get out of my obligation to school X (such as waiting a year to attend law school or is the ED still binding?)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:29 pm

BlameCanada wrote:Thank you everyone for all the information. Anyone have a rough estimate of what it would take to get accepted to Northwestern ED? Would hypothetically 174 with a 3.8 do it? Does it need to be higher? Would lower do? Same question for BU? Also if I get in ED to school X and also to a better school Y (not ED) is there anyway to get out of my obligation to school X (such as waiting a year to attend law school or is the ED still binding?)

You may be able to get out of it by waiting a year, but the school won't like that and it may be worth investigating this before committing.

As for numbers, ideally you want to be above both medians. 174/3.8 puts you well above both medians at Northwestern, meaning you would get the full ride but it's probably not worth it because you can get similar offers from peer schools and may get into Harvard, where need based aid comes into play. If you are really at 174/3.8 GW and BU shouldn't even be in the discussion.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm

Admitted to NU Early Decision with a 170 and No G.P.A.. I interviewed well (interviews are mandatory for ED.) As long as you pad the medians and interview well, you should qualify.

BlameCanada

Postby BlameCanada » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:35 pm

My average Practice Test is between 172-175 and I am waiting for December scores. I won't graduate undergrad until April 2016 but currently I have over a 3.9 (which obviously there is plenty of time for it to change which is why I said 3.8 to be conservative). I am not sure I want law school which is why I took the LSAT early so I could keep my options open. I do not want to come out of school with 6 figure debt which is why I'd only attend for a full tuition or close to it scholarship. THe location for Northwestern is not preferable, I'd prefer something on the East Coast it just seemed that Northwestern's full tuition scholarship is the most attainable.

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:02 pm

BlameCanada wrote:My average Practice Test is between 172-175 and I am waiting for December scores. I won't graduate undergrad until April 2016 but currently I have over a 3.9 (which obviously there is plenty of time for it to change which is why I said 3.8 to be conservative). I am not sure I want law school which is why I took the LSAT early so I could keep my options open. I do not want to come out of school with 6 figure debt which is why I'd only attend for a full tuition or close to it scholarship. THe location for Northwestern is not preferable, I'd prefer something on the East Coast it just seemed that Northwestern's full tuition scholarship is the most attainable.

If you end up with a 172+ and 3.9, you absolutely should not ED anywhere. You can run a check on LSN, but I would be very surprised if you did not get a few full scholarship offers from places like Duke, Michigan, Texas, Northwestern, Cornell by applying REGULAR DECISION with those numbers. And in that case you would keep your options open and have the ability to negotiate for more money.

Plus, as someone mentioned above, Columbia has a full ride scholarship it uses to poach HYS kids, and I imagine a 174/3.9 would make you eligible for it and the Ruby scholarship that Chicago gives.

Return to “Financial Aid”