Increasing $ after Deferrment

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
yossarian

Increasing $ after Deferrment

Postby yossarian » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:43 am

I deferred IUB Class of 2015 to Class of 2017 to do TFA. With it, I deferred a scholarship at $10,000/year. At the time, people were still reacting to the recession by flocking to professional/grad school. I didn't predict that I'd be much more competitive two years later. (LSAT 166, above their 75% mark).

So, I think I would get close to a full-ride or full-ride if I applied in this class. I have a meeting on 1/3/14 with the Dean to discuss my scholarship. Any pointers on asking for more?

My basic points are this:

1) I'm worried about paying for school as neither I nor my parents have any savings for this.
2) My LSAT score is competitive.
3) IU's median dropped from 165 the year I applied to 164 now.
4) IU's 75% dropped from 167 to 164.
5) I am a much better candidate professionally and capably because of two years of TFA and getting a Masters with a 4.0 while deferred.

How do I communicate this? Do I bring a new resume? New personal statement? Is this too presumptive?

Thanks for the help.

arklaw13

Re: Increasing $ after Deferrment

Postby arklaw13 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:48 pm

What's your GPA? You could do a hell of a lot better than IUB with a 167.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:54 pm

I would retake, reapply, and aim much higher unless you have a guaranteed job already lined up or some super compelling reason to have to stay in Indiana.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:23 pm

BigZuck wrote:I would retake, reapply, and aim much higher unless you have a guaranteed job already lined up or some super compelling reason to have to stay in Indiana.

Thanks Zuck, that conversation is being had in the "What Are My Chances" thread. Very valid point tho.

Arklaw, GPA is bad, 3.0. Again, valid point. Discussion is happening in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=221468 More info on softs, career goals there.

Really looking for any help with how to approach a scholly meeting if anyone has any experience.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:45 pm

For the scholly meeting itself just be completely honest, tell them directly how much it would take to get you to attend this cycle, and relay all the information you already provided in this thread. Don't come off as too condescending in talking about the school's decreased numbers, but just emphasize that you're considering other school's with job opportunities that more align with your goals unless they offer you x amount.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:51 am

muskies970 wrote:For the scholly meeting itself just be completely honest, tell them directly how much it would take to get you to attend this cycle, and relay all the information you already provided in this thread. Don't come off as too condescending in talking about the school's decreased numbers, but just emphasize that you're considering other school's with job opportunities that more align with your goals unless they offer you x amount.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate the feedback

Return to “Financial Aid”