Housing?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
xxkaleidoscopic

Housing?

Postby xxkaleidoscopic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 am

So I'm considering applying to school this cycle (late, I know). And I'm wondering... what does everyone do for housing? I have pets so I'd like to live off campus wherever I end up... But do you get cost of living loans along with your tuition? How does that work? This is new to me because in undergrad, I lived on campus all four years, so no big deal.

Also, anyone know what the federal government loan limit is, in total, for undergrad + grad? Can't seem to find the numbers, but am still delving through Google. Thanks!

arklaw13

Re: Housing?

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Generally every law school will have its tuition along with estimated cost of living on its financial aid website. I think my school's cost of living was around $23k/yr or so. You get loans up to tuition + COL just like in undergrad.

famousblueraincoat

Postby famousblueraincoat » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:26 pm

How difficult is it to use those loans to qualify for an off-campus apartment? I've been checking out Craigslist and am not sure if I would be beholden to the 40*rent income requirement as a student.

I lived at home during undergrad if it wasn't obvious. :lol:

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:58 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:How difficult is it to use those loans to qualify for an off-campus apartment? I've been checking out Craigslist and am not sure if I would be beholden to the 40*rent income requirement as a student.

That depends entirely on the city that you live in. I'm assuming you're talking about NY. I'd ask the people in the Columbia/NYU taking questions threads about that.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:How difficult is it to use those loans to qualify for an off-campus apartment? I've been checking out Craigslist and am not sure if I would be beholden to the 40*rent income requirement as a student.

I know the landlord I'm currently with accepts financial aid statements in lieu of paystubs as proof of income. I'm sure it varies, but landlords near schools who typically rent to students have to be used to this...

If you're trying to get a "real person" apartment in a big city, that might be trickier; I don't really know.

Return to “Financial Aid”