Will I even get money?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
virginialittle1209

Will I even get money?

Postby virginialittle1209 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:39 pm

do federal/private student loans cover living expenses and housing, etc.... and no need to give me a run down of FASFA and the like, but I don't have a lot of work experience and my parents income is fairly high (they're not helping me though lol), so will this hinder the amount I can get. I feel like I won't be qualified to take 30-50k dollars in one semester given my lack of personal income & parents. thanks so much guys.
Btw I only qualified for a 7k dollar loan this semester lol that was it! Though my school is about 8 to 9 a year

Tiago Splitter

Re: Will I even get money?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 pm

You can borrow up to the cost of attendance, which includes the cost of tuition and books and plenty left over to live on. Your parents' contributions make no difference. Pretty crazy huh?

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:51 pm

The federal government makes it very hard to borrow for college, but very easy to borrow after college. The logic seems to be that a college degree isn't a sure thing, but a lawl degree from a TTTT is..... or it's done to protect those who don't need to borrow for college. Who knows? Congrats on tuition only being 8-9 a year.

virginialittle1209

Postby virginialittle1209 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks so much guys! So, it doesn't matter that I won't have an income during college or like no money in general lol during law school to pay? They'll just be like, 'you can pay in three years'?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 pm

virginialittle1209 wrote:Thanks so much guys! So, it doesn't matter that I won't have an income during college or like no money in general lol during law school to pay? They'll just be like, 'you can pay in three years'?

Assuming that you don't have any problematic things on your credit report, yet. Payments on student loans don't start becoming due until 6 mo after graduation, though if you take out unsubsidized loans (as you'll probably have to if your parents are high income), interest starts to accumulate immediately.

But yeah, so long as you've never defaulted on a loan, you'll be fine. There's more info here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/funding- ... ation.html

Return to “Financial Aid”