GI Bill

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
alexrodriguez

GI Bill

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I would like to hear from someone currently in law school who is using the GI Bill.

How is it helping you? Tell me about the yellow ribbon program as well, if it's doing anything for you.

Are you getting that E-5 with dependents BAH?

I'll have only done 2 years of active duty so I think I'm entitled to only 80%, but whatever. It's something.

Rotor

Re: GI Bill

Postby Rotor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:55 pm

louierodriguez wrote:I would like to hear from someone currently in law school who is using the GI Bill.

How is it helping you? Tell me about the yellow ribbon program as well, if it's doing anything for you.

I'll have only done 2 years of active duty so I think I'm entitled to only 80%, but whatever. It's something.

Lots of good info in here. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53547

The program changed in 2011 so focus on posts after that.

Another thread you might be interested in: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257&p=7271216#p7271216

If you can stay another year, being 100% can make a big difference.

Good luck.

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:21 am

louierodriguez wrote:I would like to hear from someone currently in law school who is using the GI Bill.

I'm using the GI Bill. My tuition is fully paid for (I'm Instate) and I get $1,296.00 (which is E-5 BAH with dependents, which everyone gets) every month while in school. My tuition is approximately $10,000 every semester, and the Veterans Affairs pays all 10K in one lump sum about two weeks before the semester starts. I will not get anything during the summer (unless I am taking classes full time).

The above is all you really need to know I suppose. I don't know anything about the YRP because, like I said, my tuition is fully covered.
Last edited by Black Hat on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grungy89

Postby grungy89 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:59 am

@BlackHat,

Has the $500 semester book payment covered all or most of your book needs, or are they even more expensive than that?

Black Hat

Postby Black Hat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:40 am

grungy89 wrote:@BlackHat,

Has the $500 semester book payment covered all or most of your book needs, or are they even more expensive than that?

Is it $500 a semester? I haven't really been paying attention to how much extra they give me for books.

However, first semester I spent precisely $602 buying my stuff on Amazon and Half.com. The book store wanted precisely $952 for all used.

Second semester, I just spent precisely $395 using Amazon and Half.com. The book store wanted around $450, with renting a few.

The GI Bill (coincidently) covered it all. However, I own all my books so I may be able to recover some more money when I sell them.

Return to “Financial Aid”