When to withdraw one's application Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
hcrimson2014

Bronze

When to withdraw one's application

Post by hcrimson2014 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:12 am

Say hypothetically you applied to 13 schools and you just got into one of your top choices while you still haven't heard back much from the rest, do you guys think it makes sense to withdraw from 6 or so schools so that you can concentrate on your other applications, or would it be worthwhile to keep all the applications alive for the sake of aid/scholarship negotiation. Basically what I want to ask is what is the general consensus on the optimal number of schools needed to leverage higher aid and how far down the ranking is a school generally willing to look to at least revise its own offer based on the another school's offer?

Many thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

PS, I know Berkeley has a policy to match any t14 except for gulc and NU (I think), but other schools are not nearly as forthcoming with their aid policies.

chuckbass

Platinum

Re: When to withdraw one's application

Post by chuckbass » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 am

"do you guys think it makes sense to withdraw from 6 or so schools so that you can concentrate on your other applications"

No. You already spent the time/effort/money applying to all of these schools, so just see what happens. If you're using the lower T14 for leverage, don't just withdraw apps at random assuming you will get the same amount of money at each peer school. Chill out bro.

Return to “Financial Aid”