When to start negotiating scholarships?

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

I've been offered $90K from UCLA in Nov. When should I approach GULC to negotiate?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:16 pm

a) Approach Georgetown with my UCLA scholarship right away.
3
16%
b) Wait until I receive other offers, to maximize leverage.
7
37%
c) Wait to see if I get a scholarship from GULC in March.
9
47%
 
Total votes: 19

ALF
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 pm

When to start negotiating scholarships?

Postby ALF » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm

What is a good timeline for starting to negotiate scholarships?

I received my first two acceptances last week: UCLA and Georgetown. UCLA has awarded me a scholarship of $90K. Georgetown did not mention scholarship info, but from what I have ready from some 2008 posts on this forum, it sounds like Georgetown and many of the other top schools don't start making scholarship offers until they start to wrap up the admissions cycle in March. I know someone who got accepted to Georgetown in March a few years ago, and successfully leveraged her scholarships from UT and UCLA to get a scholarship offer out of Georgetown.

Should I...
a) Approach Georgetown with my UCLA scholarship right away, and see what they say.
b) Wait to see if I get scholarship offers anywhere else, or acceptances to higher ranked schools, so that I can approach Georgetown with potentially greater leveraging power.
c) Wait until the spring to see what kind or money I may be offered then.

What are your thoughts?
(p.s. since ppl always want to know, I'm 3.8/169 but have really strong resume, letter of rec, and international experience).

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15409
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: When to start negotiating scholarships?

Postby sublime » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:31 pm

..

arklaw13
Posts: 1703
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: When to start negotiating scholarships?

Postby arklaw13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:51 pm

There are arguments on both sides. On the one hand, if you message them early, they have more money available and could be more likely to increase your award. On the other hand, they may not want to consider raising offers until they know if they will be able to fill most of their class without giving out more money. If it were me I'd wait until January or so before trying to negotiate. In November/December a lot of schools might not have enough information to guess what the total number of applications is going to look like, which they'll need in order to send out the right number of acceptances/WL's in order to get their yield.




Return to “Financial Aid”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest