Is the GWU ED Scholarship Real? Or is it like Santa Claus? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Stanzy1

New

Is the GWU ED Scholarship Real? Or is it like Santa Claus?

Post by Stanzy1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I emailed someone from the admissions council at GW and they said based on my 3.85 GPA, I would need to get "just above our median of 165 to be considered for this scholarship." I cannot find this to be possible, I know so many people, myself included, who would take this scholarship if scoring high 160s, which is just above their median. However, I have not seen one case where a person has received this full-ride ED scholarship. Theoretically, I think this is happening because of two reasons:

1. Their scores aren't high enough. (160-164)
2. If their scores ARE high enough, they typically don't apply for the GW ED program. (170+)

The highest scholarship offer I have seen at GW was just over $120k, I have seen this scholarship handed out several times. I am no mathematician, but tuition is over $46k per year at GW, over 3 years, equals to $138-140k. That being said, that is not a full ride.

Maybe these people just are not publicizing that they received the scholarship, but I just don't see how a 166,167, or 168 on the LSAT would grant a full ride here. And if people with these marginally high LSAT scores were being awarded this scholarship, wouldn't we have heard more about it?

Let me know your thoughts because I would love this scholarship, but I would only consider it if I scored between 165-169. If I am below 165 or higher than 169, I would believe this scholarship would be out of the statistical realm. I know I am not the only one having these thoughts, who else in the mid to high LSAT range are also considering this scholarship?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Is the GWU ED Scholarship Real? Or is it like Santa Claus?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Looks real to me:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kcirdor01
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/cgn610
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/annacf

It's possible there wasn't anyone who got it posting on LSN last cycle.

GW's median LSAT has historically been at 167 and if you have a GPA as high as yours, you'd need to score in a pretty tight window for the ED full ride to work and make sense. If you scored 170 you could get big money from a better placing school, and if you scored 165 or below you couldn't get the full ride. It also doesn't make sense if you don't have a desire to end up around DC. Now, with falling medians, the numbers are different but I'm not sure the window is any larger. If you end up at a 3.85/169 or perhaps even 168 you can get a big scholarship from a T-14 that beats the GW full ride offer.

Stanzy1

New

Re: Is the GWU ED Scholarship Real? Or is it like Santa Claus?

Post by Stanzy1 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Thank you so much for finding those cases, that makes me feel a bit better about the actual existence of this scholarship. And you're right, there is a very tight window for me, and for many students, on whether or not this is the best option. I appreciate the feedback and advice.

Return to “Financial Aid”