Stafford and Grad PLUS Loans

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ganja

Stafford and Grad PLUS Loans

Postby ganja » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 am

So as we all know, in today's day and age, the primary method of funding law school comes in the form of loans. I was lucky enough to escape being in debt out of undergrad so the whole process of applying for student loans is new to me. I will be a 1L August 2014 and I was wondering when I should begin the process of applying for Stafford and Grad PLUS Loans. I would think that once I get my tax returns this coming January/Feburary and apply for FASFA, I would begin the process then. However, I have seen on a few websites that I should begin the process as soon as possible but I don't know if where I'm going to school yet or if I'm even going at all this year (may retake and sit out yet another cycle). So I wanted to dip into the holy grail of TLS knowledge for this post. Thoughts?

Chriz

Re: Stafford and Grad PLUS Loans

Postby Chriz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 am

You typically fill out the FAFSA and then each school will give you information on what loans you can take out and everything. There is not really much work involved.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 am

Fill out your FAFSA when you get your taxes done. Then your school financial aid office will direct you further, but likely will require nothing from you but an acceptance of the loans they put together. There is no limit to the amount of loans available to law students/college students everywhere so there is no advantage to doing it any faster than the schedule of the school you eventually go to.

ganja

Postby ganja » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:54 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:Fill out your FAFSA when you get your taxes done. Then your school financial aid office will direct you further, but likely will require nothing from you but an acceptance of the loans they put together. There is no limit to the amount of loans available to law students/college students everywhere so there is no advantage to doing it any faster than the schedule of the school you eventually go to.

Sounds good. I know the maximum amount you can borrow is the COA as determined by the school which is usually more than what you need lol

Return to “Financial Aid”