Scholly help

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
ganja

Scholly help

Postby ganja » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:48 am

Hello all. So I am patiently waiting my official acceptances from a few schools but I have heard from a few regarding schollys. I do have a question regarding negotiations. Say I get close to a full ride at a school X, how can I increase the amount by $1500 and lower the stipulations from being in the top 35% to being at least top 50%, when this school has offered the highest amount of $$$ of all schools I applied to?? I was thinking maybe I take a half scholly offer from school Y (peer institution) which is closer to home and tell school X that because of Y's proximity to home, my parents would be take care of CoL for me? I'm considering attatching a signed note from my father to the negotiation email for this as School Y would then be considerably cheaper to attend (according to the note at least but not necessarily). Should I also point to acceptance at higher ranked schools although they won't be offering as much $$? Please let me know what you all think?

guano

Re: Scholly help

Postby guano » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:40 am

Just state "in light of other offers..." or something to that effect. No need to tell them the other offers are lower.

Re stips: you like he school and appreciate the offer but in light of guaranteed schollys at other schools (if you have them, otherwise use a vague term that implies but doesn't state) you were wondering why the school has the stips it does, and if these can be lowered to a more reasonable requirement

ganja

Postby ganja » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm

guano wrote:Just state "in light of other offers..." or something to that effect. No need to tell them the other offers are lower.

Re stips: you like he school and appreciate the offer but in light of guaranteed schollys at other schools (if you have them, otherwise use a vague term that implies but doesn't state) you were wondering why the school has the stips it does, and if these can be lowered to a more reasonable requirement

Will do. I mean I am well above both 75th percentiles (LsAT by 4 points, GPA by .5) so I don't think it'll be that difficult to accommodate. Or at least I hope sp

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm

ganja wrote:
guano wrote:Just state "in light of other offers..." or something to that effect. No need to tell them the other offers are lower.

Will do. I mean I am well above both 75th percentiles (LsAT by 4 points, GPA by .5) so I don't think it'll be that difficult to accommodate. Or at least I hope sp

Do not, I repeat DO NOT, bet on this.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Do not, I repeat DO NOT, bet on this.

Top 35% is no joke. It's difficult to understand how arbitrary law school grades can be until you've gotten a few of them. Time + talent don't always = grades.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

Bedsole wrote:

Top 35% is no joke. It's difficult to understand how arbitrary law school grades can be until you've gotten a few of them. Time + talent don't always = grades.

Listen to this bedsole guy. Unless he tells you facts about ducks.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Listen to this bedsole guy. Unless he tells you facts about ducks.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:38 pm

8) Image

ganja

Postby ganja » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Bedsole wrote:

Well that's why I'd want them to at minimum go down to top 50%. Even that signifys I have a 50-50 chance at keeping the scholly but hey it's better than having 65% chance of losing it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 pm

ganja wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Well that's why I'd want them to at minimum go down to top 50%. Even that signifys I have a 50-50 chance at keeping the scholly but hey it's better than having 65% chance of losing it.

You should not be attending a school with any stipulation, under any circumstance.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:43 pm

ImNoScar wrote:You should not be attending a school with any stipulation, under any circumstance.

I am not sure that I entirely agree. Some schools maintain easy to meet stipulations to ensure that the money isn't being used on those who aren't academically successful. For example, Pitt generally has good retention for scholarship recipients with its stipulation of 3.0 (which falls somewhere around or below median).

http://www.law.pitt.edu/resources/tuiti ... #Retention

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Bedsole wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:You should not be attending a school with any stipulation, under any circumstance.

I am not sure that I entirely agree. Some schools maintain easy to meet stipulations to ensure that the money isn't being used on those who aren't academically successful. For example, Pitt generally has good retention for scholarship recipients with its stipulation of 3.0 (which falls somewhere around or below median).

I meant stipulations that require you to be median or above. Schools with good standing/well below median stipulations can be perfectly rational choices.

ganja

Postby ganja » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

I meant stipulations that require you to be median or above. Schools with good standing/well below median stipulations can be perfectly rational choices.

I think if I'm not above median after 1L, I'd seriously consider dropping out. It's not like I'm talking about a t14 or even tier 1 school here

Return to “Financial Aid”