Denied by LSAC! Please help!!!!

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
nerdiecherry

Denied by LSAC! Please help!!!!

Postby nerdiecherry » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi everyone, I just submitted my lsac fee waiver application online and got denied because apparently I had too many savings even though it was only 1,900 and checkings only 90. In addition, my total income was 20,486. The thing is that I presume that I will use my savings for the applications, but about 1,000+ will be going towards my moms immigration process this upcoming month, and I also have to buy the school supplies for my dependent, and will have to buy a plane ticket to return to college this upcoming semester. Thus, my savings will be completely used up. I do have a current wage of 7.25. I pay 150 for rent, though I dont receive any sort of receipt that I do nor do we have a contract since its a family friend. I am not exactly sure how to appeal this and proof that I will not be using the money towards my lsat and lsac fees. I am not worried about proof to disprove that the 20,486 is not all my wage because I have the breakdown of the statements that say that only 6,500 was my income and the rest came from scholarships. Though, I really dont know how to phrase the appeal letter and what documentation to provide to disprove and make them aware of my situation. Should I go into detail and tell them I support my brother since my mom works in Mexico? How can I portray my situation? I was thinking of printing out a printout of the costs of the immigration papers from the website because we have not started the process. Essentially what I will be using my money for has not been done yet. What do I do? I would appreciate the help!

nerdiecherry

Re: Denied by LSAC! Please help!!!!

Postby nerdiecherry » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:45 am

Please help me!

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:01 pm

LSAC sucks. I am 24 but they want to know how much my parents make to see if I can afford to pay them hundreds of dollars or not. It is total crap. Good luck.

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 am

Chriz wrote:LSAC sucks. I am 24 but they want to know how much my parents make to see if I can afford to pay them hundreds of dollars or not. It is total crap. Good luck.

Agreed. While my situation is a little different than OP's, I had the same experience as Chriz being as I'm 24 and wasn't actually raised by my mom or dad and had a guardian (my aunt) and they still wanted my biological mom and dad's income (and I would have been screwed because my dad actually makes great money). I had to send in all legal documents from my childhood regarding what deadbeat assholes my parents were, why I was raised by another parent, and the documentation from my undergrad that I had been classified as an independent by the school for financial aid purposes, AND filed my taxes as such beginning before I even turned 18, and even then had to speak to several supervisors to get it done, in addition to accumulating all documents, etc. Good luck. My advice would be to speak to a supervisor and go ahead and spend the money out of your savings now (or at least what is possible) and re-file with more up-to-date numbers, if LSAC will let you. The system is really biased.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 am

nerdiecherry wrote:Please help me!

way too complicated of a situation for any of us to give great help. go to an lsac forum and talk to the financial aid advisers there. or call lsac to seek additional guidance.

nerdiecherry

Postby nerdiecherry » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 am

Will calling lsac actually help? What number do I call to?

nerdiecherry

Postby nerdiecherry » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:26 am

arkgawilson wrote:
Chriz wrote:LSAC sucks. I am 24 but they want to know how much my parents make to see if I can afford to pay them hundreds of dollars or not. It is total crap. Good luck.

. My advice would be to speak to a supervisor and go ahead and spend the money out of your savings now (or at least what is possible) and re-file with more up-to-date numbers, if LSAC will let you. The system is really biased.

Do you mean to re-file, as give them a statement with new numbers when I appeal?

Return to “Financial Aid”