FAFSA - When to fill out

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bigsleep1

FAFSA - When to fill out

Postby bigsleep1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:24 am

Hey guys,

Quick, and probably stupid, question.

I havent worked since February of this year, so my income this year will be VERY low.

I did, however, make money last year, 2012-2013.

Should I fill out my FAFSA now? Or should I wait til January 2014?

If I fill it out now, I will have to say I made 50K, whereas if I will it out in January, I can report under 10K earnings, and possibly get more $$$

TYIA

P.S. This was my first post, sorry so lame.

Mojosodope

Re: FAFSA - When to fill out

Postby Mojosodope » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm not sure what your asking but you wouldn't fill out your FAFSA for the 2014-2015 school year until at least January because you'd have to wait to file your taxes in 2014.

I'm guessing you aren't going to school in August because you would have already filled it out for this upcoming year, so you 2012 earnings are meaningless. However, your 2013 earnings are what will be reported on next years FAFSA and taxes

bigsleep1

Postby bigsleep1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Mojosodope wrote:I'm not sure what your asking but you wouldn't fill out your FAFSA for the 2014-2015 school year until at least January because you'd have to wait to file your taxes in 2014.

I'm guessing you aren't going to school in August because you would have already filled it out for this upcoming year, so you 2012 earnings are meaningless. However, your 2013 earnings are what will be reported on next years FAFSA and taxes

Sorry I left that info out. Yes, I am applying this October, so going to school in 2014.

So I will wait then?

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm

bigsleep1 wrote:
Mojosodope wrote:I'm not sure what your asking but you wouldn't fill out your FAFSA for the 2014-2015 school year until at least January because you'd have to wait to file your taxes in 2014.

Sorry I left that info out. Yes, I am applying this October, so going to school in 2014.

So I will wait then?

Yes. No point in filling it out until next year - since you're applying for the next academic year. Did you not read the directions for the FAFSA?

Return to “Financial Aid”